General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

64 years ago.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Jun 2020 12:30

64 years ago it was a day just like we have here, warm and sunny with blue skies. It was the day of our church fete, held in the large garden of one of the members of our Baptist church.
My Dad had to work as usual, he was a car salesman, it was a Saturday. My Mum had a part time job in Smith and Vosper's cake shop

I was 15 years and ten months old and I had to look after my sister who was nine. so I said I would take her to the fete.

As we got off the bus from home and started to walk down the road that led to the park, which we had to cross to get to the fete, a young man in naval uniform came towards us. I recognised him as one of the Artificer Apprentices from HMS Collingwood who had been at the church service the previous Sunday. He was a month short of being eighteen. He asked if he could come with us to the fete. And the rest, as they say is history.

four years later we were married.

So looking back 64 years, I think gosh how young we were. and they have been a wonderful 64 years as well (60 years married in August).
<3 <3

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 Jun 2020 12:33

Lovely memory, Ann. <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Jun 2020 12:49

It must have been very hard to leave those Smith and Vosper cakes for a mere man! They used to deliver right over here.

Where did your dad work?

Congratulations Ann.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Jun 2020 13:54

Congratulations Ann and T.

So many years, so many wonderful memories.

Was Smith and Vosper in Fareham. ?I can't place the shop. I do remember Soothills at the Eastern end of the town.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Jun 2020 13:58

How wonderful memories Ann

My mum would often say what will be will be ,she was a big believer in fate

I too with circumstances wouid never have met my soul mate as he was RC and I was CofE but my brother briefly courted a RC nurse and he went to do his national service and she asked me to go with her the dance after Sunday mass at the church hall

There’s no way I would have gone ,didn’t even know about them

We had 58 years of happy marriage till I lost him in 2015

Yes I did feel what’s meant to be !

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 23 Jun 2020 14:16

nice one, Ann.....looking forward to our anniversary, also.....

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 23 Jun 2020 14:16

Lovely memories Ann, wish you many more years together.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Jun 2020 14:36

<3 <3 <3 <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Jun 2020 14:47

Thank you. Gwyn There was an S&V in Fareham I seem to remember it being just West of Westbury alley, Mum worked there sometimes but usually she was at the Portchester shop, I helped out there a few times as well. (didn't like the wasps).

sharron, when Dad first worked at the garage (In Fareham West Street) it was Hinxmans, It then became Wadham Stringer.

Thanks all glad you enjoyed reading it. Yes Bob ad not forgotten you will be celebrating as well. :-) :-)

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 23 Jun 2020 18:34

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

x

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 23 Jun 2020 19:54

LOL not quite as "romantic" as yours Ann, I "persued" mine because we both went to work on the same series of buses.....

bus stop romance....

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 24 Jun 2020 03:58

Wow, that's a lovely story to pass through the family, Ann. You must know one another inside out. I hope you have many more years ahead.

Your story is lovely too Shirley.

Lizxx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Jun 2020 13:05

Bob :-D :-D and you still made 60 years! :-) :-)

Barbra

Barbra Report 24 Jun 2020 15:01

Ann lovely story & you are still going strong bless you both I am a bit behind you met my oh at work I was 17years old he was 23 we have been Married 54 yrs in September .were do the years go memories photos they are all cherished .Keep safe all Barbara :-)

kandj

kandj Report 24 Jun 2020 17:50

What a nice surprise for you Ann. I hope you and your OH have many more happy years together X

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Jun 2020 15:58

Thank you Kandj xx