General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Thomas Clark 1899 - 1985

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kelly

Kelly Report 6 Aug 2020 18:57

Please help,
I have entered two William Thomas Clarks, adding a lot of ancestors before I realised that they were the same man.

William Thomas Clark father to my mother in law

William Thomas Clark My mother in law's Grand father' Brother.

It seemed the Uncle ran off with the Niece and had my mother in law. Is there someone in admin who can help me sort this mess out? :-(

Kelly

Kelly Report 6 Aug 2020 18:57

William Thomas Clark 1899 to 1985

greyghost

greyghost Report 6 Aug 2020 20:02

Try an email to - [email protected]

They aim to answer within 5 working days, but may be longer at present.

Anyone reading your post will only be a member like yourself

Otherwise it may be a question of removing the other names to get rid of your wrong entry and then building up the tree again

Kense

Kense Report 8 Aug 2020 14:43

Decide which one you have the most information and descendants and ancestors about and keep that one.

If there are any children on the other one that are are not children on the one to be kept then on your tree select them one by one. Select edit and then change father, using the find existing facility, to the W.T.C. that is to be kept. Do the same for the mother. Make sure that the W.T.C. to be kept has the same information and ancestor data as the other one. Then delete the other one and any ancestors he has.

To avoid any confusion before you start I would change the name of the one you are not keeping, say by adding an x to it. Otherwise you may not know which one to use when find existing offers you two identical choices.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 10 Aug 2020 12:44

I'd had a problem on my tree similar to Karen but as I didn't know how to correct it I just found a way of working around it. Now, after following your instructions Kense, I have put it right. Thank you.

I was very wary when I pressed the delete key but it worked out okay :-)