General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

*********Sir Cliff Richard **********

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbra

Barbra Report 25 Oct 2020 23:29

14th October Sir Clff Richard was 80 years old he has worn well & made an Album to celebrate his long time as entertainer saw him in Blackpool I had front row seat many moons ago I was 14 at the time . like some of his stuff .Belated Happy Birthday Sir xx :-D

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Oct 2020 00:36

Always been my favourite singer. I've only seen him live twice. Once at the Globe in Stockton-on-Tees when I was about 15 and a couple of years ago my son bought us both a ticket to an outdoor concert in Leeds for my birthday.

The weather was so bad that they didn't confirm the concert was going ahead until about 2 hours before the start and even then most people said it should have been cancelled. The rain was torrential and the field (in a stately home) was a quagmire.
We were absolutely soaked but the concert was great and Cliff kept thanking everyone for putting up with the conditions.

Kath. x

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 Oct 2020 07:50

The Globe - lovely memories you've brought back, Kath, where Gene Pitney sang without a mike and could be heard as clear as can be.

Reminiscing over breakfast - The Fiesta, La Ronde, Top Hat, Wetherills ... I wonder if our paths crossed all those years ago?

The cleanest-looking and tidiest, more formal dressers - The Kinks. That really surprised me. <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 26 Oct 2020 07:58

I never saw him in concert but he and his music were art of my youth. He is two months younger than me! But is a lot more energetic!! Belated birthday wishes to him. :-)

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 26 Oct 2020 09:54

Because of my iffy eyesight I thought for a moment that you said that Cliff was a lot more angelic than you Ann

;-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Oct 2020 10:33

I don't remember Top Hat and Wetherills Joy, but I often went to The Fiesta and La Ronde. The Fiesta is now a "Destiny Centre" but unfortunately the La Ronde is no longer with us.

I remember Chicken and Chips in a basket at the Fiesta. I also remember that it was there that I had my first and only cigarette which some lad gave me and I didn't want to look "uncool" so I tried it and almost choked on it. Never, ever again!

Kath. x

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 Oct 2020 11:46

Top Hat was in Spenny, Kath and Weth's in Sunderland - 45-50 years ago now but smashing memories. :-D

Still dancing but now on Zoom. :-D

Edit;

I am kidding myself! It's 55-60 years ago. :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 26 Oct 2020 14:03

61 years ago, I was a N/s man, in Carlisle at Hadrians Camp.
I used to frequent the WI in Carlisle where they had a record collection, to read my mail and write letters.....part of this collection, was a Buddy Holly album, and some of Cliffs....it became regular that when i arrived the ladies put on a selection of these records for me........without being asked.....

#Just you know why.....#
#True Love ways"#

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 26 Oct 2020 15:20

Tess :-D :-D :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Oct 2020 15:55

He looked good for his age but also showed it

Did come across as a bit eccentric too

Said he had dated but his career was his main concern

Was never really in love that he could jeopardise his career

No way do I think the allegations made against him were true but also think he may not have found who he really is

Didn’t think too he still has the voice !

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Oct 2020 17:31

Spennymoor and Sunderland were far too far away for me in those days (even now if truth be told, lol) Joy.

When we were first married we had very little money and before we married even less. Most of my trips to the La Ronde (which was just a walk away from home) were with the girls from work and The Fiesta was for very special occasions.

"True love ways" was a favourite.

Kath. x

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 Oct 2020 21:56

I started going into them when I was a little under-age, Kath, because I went with the girls I worked with and was always included. All were older than me by a few years and a couple of them had driving licences and a car.

They were a fab bunch, however, sadly, only one left and she's over 80 now but I speak with her occasionally still.

Nothing was ever said about my age and I thoroughly enjoyed those years. I wouldn't have missed them for the world, as they say. Great to look back on. <3