General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Obtaining an Australian death cert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 26 Oct 2020 10:53

Can any advise me on how I do a look up to get the exact details of a death in Australia in 2009/2010 and how can i get a copy if the death cert?

Is there anyone who has access to Australian records on here?

Any help appreciated

Florence in the hebrides

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 26 Oct 2020 11:04

You could try NLA, tell them as much as you know but I believe there is a 70 year closure period for death certificates.

Allan

Allan Report 26 Oct 2020 11:06

Florence, although living in Oz all my research has been in the UK where I am originally from.

I can make some enquiries for you.

I do know, from my father's death certificate, that they contain far more information than UK ones

Florence61

Florence61 Report 26 Oct 2020 11:08

Ill PM you Allan ty

Florence in the hebrides

Allan

Allan Report 26 Oct 2020 11:11

Here is a link to the NLA

https://tinyurl.com/yaoonxrf

I do have a membership, if it is still current

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 Oct 2020 11:40

The Birth Certs also contain more information, Allan.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 26 Oct 2020 11:58

They do indeed have a lot more information on them, my Uncle born in Australia in 1930 and on his birth certificate it stated that he changed his name by deed poll to a female name, we knew he was homosexual and it meant I could contact his husband which I did so I had a lot more information from him but alas he my Uncle had died 5 years earlier so I never met him, anyway it meant I could confirm it was my Uncle and who his parents are.
Good luck with your research x

Florence61

Florence61 Report 26 Oct 2020 14:06

Ty all for your help

Florence in the hebrides