General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My frivolous curiosity

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Jan 2021 08:12

I don't know whether anyone else has taken an interest in the backdrops of interviewees while watching the morning news. When the news became much of a muchness, my eyes and mind wandered and before Christmas I began to take notice. This morning, having seen Priti Patel with the furled Union flag behind her (nice move, very astute) I realised that I remembered two that had stuck in my mind.

Here are the two that I particularly liked.

The kitchen-family room that the always-pleasant Dr Nighat Arif broadcast from.

That lovely Christmas tree behind the actress Jessica Hynes was the best although I am not sure whether she was interviewed in her home or elsewhere.

Totally frivolous, I'm afraid, but the mind wanders sometimes. :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Jan 2021 08:30

It's good to look beyond the obvious! :-D :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Jan 2021 08:40

And to let your mind break free from gravity sometimes, Maggie. :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 20 Jan 2021 14:53

One of our reporters always has a set of drawers behind him...and one drawer was slightly open...so madding just close the drawer!! :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Jan 2021 15:34

Nigel Havers had a nice collection of minature bottles on a shelf behind him this morning - couldn't tell whether they were empty or not ;-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Jan 2021 18:31

Ooh, names, do you think he collected them when he did that work in a hotel alongside Sally Lindsay. Can't remember the name of the show but it was a bit mind-numbing. :-S

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Jan 2021 18:50

:-S
That one seems to have passed me by.

Allan

Allan Report 20 Jan 2021 22:36

Over here whenever a Premier or Minister is interviewed there is always a couple of pollies of the same party behind him/her, nodding their heads sagely at every single word uttered.

They remind me of those nodding dogs you can buy for cars being taken down a very rough country road :-|

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Jan 2021 22:54

Allan! :-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Jan 2021 23:04

Our Prime Minister used to give his morning press call in front of the door to Rideau Cottage, which is the temporary replacement while the prime minister's Official Residence is renovated.

That began in the first week or so of covid 19, and have continued for months ................ it is a most handsome front door, typical of important buildings from the 19th century (~18 67) and I was fascinated at how his backdrop changed as the months and seasons went by.

They finally gave the press a open-sided marquee for protection from the weather!