General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Well, one good thing came out of lockdown....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kentishmaid

Kentishmaid Report 30 Jul 2021 20:54

Hadn't looked at my family tree for some time. Happened to be looking at the library website and found I could access Ancestry Library Edition from the comfort of my own home. Managed to find my Mum on the 1939 England and Wales Register, a register I hadn't been aware of before. Another piece in the jigsaw :-)

Dee

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Jul 2021 15:10

I wish my library, or even the local records office, had opened genealogical sites to all.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Jul 2021 15:16

That's a bit mean. Haven't they also closed a lot of your libraries?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Jul 2021 15:31

Yes. I was actually a temp, in the council a typing out letters of protest - letters that, after being put on the system, were studiously ignored.
I realised this, and left after a week. The pay wasn't enough to placate my outrage!

Of course, the libraries were closed after they'd stopped the travelling libraries.

I think they closed about 7 - and have now reopened one of them.
Goodness knows how much money they wasted.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 31 Jul 2021 15:44

Due to Lockdown restrictions The National Archive have,and still are as far as I'm aware, allowing free downloads of digitalised images from the comfort of your own home which would normally have cost £3.50 each.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/news/digital-downloads/

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Jul 2021 18:07

I think I used that at the begining. As I'm using a different PC, I need to search out my USB's