General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Awful news

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Oct 2021 15:17

Conservative MP Sir David Amess has today been murdered after being stabbed 'multiple times' during his weekly surgery by a 25-year-old man who ran in and knifed him to death.

The Tory MP for Southend West, 69, was holding a surgery at the Belfairs Methodist Church, in Eastwood Road North, Leigh-on-Sea when his attacker ran into the building wielding a knife before attacking the veteran politician.

Paramedics working to save him on the floor of a Essex church for more than an hour but he could not be saved

What an awful wicked lawless society we have now. It doesn't matter what party he belonged to, he was just doing his job and by all accounts was good at it too. Poor man and his poor familt

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 Oct 2021 15:24

Oh my, I heard this earlier on the radio awhile ago but didnt know he had died.Is nowhere safe in this life. I mean he was in a church for goodness sake and doing his job.

Hope they lock the attacker up for life.
Poor family

Florence in the hebrides

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 15 Oct 2021 15:27

I have deleted my Thread on the same subject, Ann.

Regardless of ones politics I think you will agree this is a very sad state of affairs which hits at the very heart of democracy :-(

RIP Sir David <3

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Oct 2021 15:28

Dreadful.

I don't know who he was but there was an American on tv recently who was so impressed that we could see our politicians up close.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Oct 2021 15:38

Sorry Belle, I didn't see your post. I must have missed it.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Oct 2021 16:31

Very sad news indeed.

May he rest in peace. <3

Von

Von Report 15 Oct 2021 17:59

Very sad news

My condolences to his family <3 <3

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Oct 2021 18:51

It seems that counter terrorise police will be investigating this dreadful thing.

Caroline

Caroline Report 15 Oct 2021 19:24

Never any excuse for such awful behaviour.

Tawny

Tawny Report 15 Oct 2021 20:09

True Caroline never an excuse for that behaviour. RIP Sir David <3

My thoughts are with his family <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Oct 2021 20:17

I was horrified when I heard this on our morning news. The announcer also said that he had been an MP for a very long time.

As Caroline said, there is no excuse for this kind of behaviour. But it reminded me of the young ?Labour MP who was murdered some years ago.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Oct 2021 20:32

That was Jo Cox, MP for Batley & Spen.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 15 Oct 2021 22:27

What on earth gets into these people, where do they the idea from to do that, and I think they intend to do that, after all you don't routinely go out with any sort of knife in your pocket.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Oct 2021 00:20

Not much was done after Jo Cox's murder 5 years ago, apart from some bluster, a memorial or two, and failed promises.

Amess was constantly asking for more stringent laws on knives.
Maybe something constructive will happen now.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Oct 2021 07:23

It does look like this is or could be terrorist related. DM headlines say the arrested man is British of Somali descent and the attack could be connected to Islamist Extremism according to police.

Like the one in Norway, Bow and arrows, horrific!