General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Whoops!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Oct 2021 17:50

My sister in law was due to start voluntary work in the local library next week - it may be delayed.

A driver parked in the car park outside, in an automatic car, pressed 'gas' instead of 'brake', and went through the wall, earlier today!! :-S

The occupants managed to get out of the car - but found themselves locked in the library! :-D :-D :-D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-58945203

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Oct 2021 17:55

oh dear!

But still can't help laughing :-D :-D :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 17 Oct 2021 19:03

Wow... What a mess !
Good job it was a Sunday, when presumably fewer people were about.

I've got cousins living near there, so I will probably get a 'local' report on this.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 17 Oct 2021 22:15

Wow! Oh my what a mess. I wouldn't like to be the person who has to put all the books back on the shelves!

But at least noone was seriously injured. What a shock the driver and occupants got.

Florence in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Oct 2021 22:42

Of all the places they could have parked in that empty car park....... :-D

It also makes me question the strength of the walls!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 17 Oct 2021 23:32

Yes doesnt it Maggie!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Oct 2021 07:45

Oh dear, always a concern with automatic cars. Lucky nobody was hurt. Still if they were locked in they had plenty of reading to keep them occupied. And, as somebody says it doesn't say much for the strength of the wall but maybe that was a good thing for the safety of the car occupants.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 18 Oct 2021 13:06

I thought auto's had a double sized brake pedal(clutch n brake)

Hmmm maybe practicing for an ATM breakin?

Caroline

Caroline Report 18 Oct 2021 15:51

That library must have been built in maybe the 70's, not sure it's been built on since. Very lucky no one was hurt at all.

Caroline

Caroline Report 18 Oct 2021 16:30

Looking online at pictures it's been renovated back in 2013, but I think the main building was the same...maybe added onto looks very modern at one part, anyway still very lucky no injuries and hopefully it'll be open again soon.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Oct 2021 17:25

My nephew suggested, as his mum can no longer volunteer inside the library, perhaps she should become a volunteer plasterer or bricklayer! :-D :-D :-D

Annx

Annx Report 18 Oct 2021 18:05

They must have hit the pedal hard to do that with a double brick cavity wall. Looks like it may have been a disabled driver if they were parked in the spaces outside and the car an automatic. Maybe they reversed back out of a space, then instead of braking before moving forward, they pressed the wrong pedal and shot forward. Of course if you thought you were pressing the brake you would press even harder then? :-0 It just shows you need to keep your eyes peeled walking across car parks.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 18 Oct 2021 18:15

rather like the blonde whose automatic car would only Drive during the Day, she said
it wont go at Night! it only goes brmmm brmmm!!

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Oct 2021 19:10

I remember a mini coming down Budds Hill at Singleton, near the open air museum. It missed the sharp right hander at the bottom of the hill and ran into the shop which fell down.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Oct 2021 19:15

:-D :-D :-D :-D

I hope the shop wasn't an exhibit!

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Oct 2021 20:04

I think it was older than them. It is re-built and is now an excellent cafe.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 19 Oct 2021 09:31

I know how they’ll feel! I felt a right idiot when I did something similar almost 50 years ago.

It was pouring with rain and I was driving down the next street where cars were parked randomly on both sides, so I was effectively zig-zagging, when I pressed the brake and my foot slipped off there onto the accelerator and I zoomed across and knocked a small cast-iron lamp-post over. The car was stuck over the top of the base and my son was in his car seat in the back of the car but seemed quite unconcerned - no bawling so obviously he thought that he was OK as Mum was still there in his sight and he was calm by nature anyway.

Quickly, a guy appeared from one of the houses and told me to stay put and not to get out while I was chatting to my child to keep him calm. I was never sure whether the guy was a leccy or whether he worked for the highways. He looked under a little but what seemed like fairly rapidly (around 10/15 minutes from memory) a man in a van appeared, checked further underneath then opened the doors and told me it was safe to get out now as nothing was live! I hadn’t even wondered about there being live wires there but I did take the first guy’s advice seriously. If anything I thought the electricity would have automatically cut off but if it hadn’t done so then the second guy had sorted it out.

Who would have thought that wet soles could be the cause of such an accident? Not many, I’d wager - or if they did, we’d see more people change shoes for driving and I don’t know of anyone (apart from me) who does that and I only began to keep a pair of shoes in the car especially for driving from that date.

That driver will be kicking himself right now - but that is the nature of accidents.

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Oct 2021 13:08

So many pedals to choose from.

I had changed the brake master cylinder o my car on the side of the road outside while Fred watched tele. Once I had done all that(and, no doubt whatever he was watching had finished) he was required to step in and supervise the bleeding.

I was put in the car where he could shout instructions as to how I was pumping the pedal wrong while he crawled about with the pipe and jam jar and that suited me no end.

He shouted and I pumped at different speeds and rhythms, but nothing came out which must have been my fault for not fitting the master cylinder correctly.

Yes, it was my fault entirely but there was nothing wrong with my workmanship. The problem was that no brake fluid will come out if you are pumping the accelerator!