General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This genealogy trip is weird

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Dec 2023 22:52

Some context. I moved around a lot. as a child - 12 moves before I turned 18 - dad was in the fleet air arm.
My ex moved around quite a bit - his dad was in the Navy.
We met when he came over from Cyprus (he was in the RAF) to see my sister's boyfriend, who was an old schoolmate.

His gran and my great gran were both from New Forest Traveller families.
They are both - on 2 seperate censuses, 10 years apart, living/working in the same farmhouse. That's a bit weird.

Even weirder, I have just found out that one of his ancestors- not from the traveller side - married one of my ancestors! My GGG grandmother's aunt.

When I was at Grammar school, I used to go around with a girl who lived in the New Forest, and insisted her family had lived there for generations. They may have done. However, she had an unusual name - Dowrick.
I found out that it was a Cornish name - my dad's family are Cornish going waaay back.
Well, I found out yesterday, that I have 'Dowricks' in my tree.It's a GGG grandmother's maiden name.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 Dec 2023 01:21

How weird, but how great, Maggie.
Amazing that your relatives even lived in the same farmhouse, at different times.

Dad's brother married a girl from a New Forest traveller family. I must ask my cousin, their daughter where they actually met, as I know they married in Yorkshire in wartime, when they were stationed there in the army.

Some years ago, I found that OH had an ancestral connection even though, like you there was no obvious link, at first.

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1322779

Wish I could find out how some of my actual DNA matches link :-S

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Dec 2023 08:54

It is an interesting journey Maggie. OH was born and grew up (in one place) in Devon.

I was born and grew up in Hampshire (in one place.).

My ancestors came from Somerset and Dorset among other places but mostly moved at some stage to Hampshire. His ancestors came from Dorset, Somerset and South Wales and moved to Devon. In the 18th century one of his ancestors and one of mine married (in Somerset). Neither of us knew of this before I started doing research.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Dec 2023 09:46

It's amost like ancestral similarities pull people together.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Dec 2023 13:36

As you say Maggie weird.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Dec 2023 11:10

In 1911 the young man who eventually became my paternal grandfather was lodging in the same house as the young man who became my maternal cousin's grandfather.

They came from completely different parts of Scotland, but just happened to be working and lodging in the same small town at that time.

It feels odd to think that I know all about their later connection, whereas they thought they were only chance acquaintances.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 19 Dec 2023 11:37

I think that people who live in a particular area often work together, for instance, lots of my family worked for the Furness Railway, which operated round Morecambe Bay, where lots of my ancestors came from.
And then some of these workers would move to other railway centres, Crewe, Ardwick in Manchester, Sheffield.

And cities in particular had a lot of residents, again their employment might make them live in particular areas.

I have found that some of my ancestors who moved to Manchester for work used the same Church as OH's ancestors, who lived there.