General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

not a cheap wedding then

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 26 Feb 2024 14:45

Just been reading about an 18 year old girl from Essex who has just married her childhood sweetheart. The wedding cost £50,000 and the huge fairy castle cake cost £13000. 200 guests.

No cost of living crisis there then. And her dress is huge. Oh well each to their own.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Feb 2024 15:16

My goodness :-0 :-0

I hope they are very happy together.

Sometimes I wonder if for some people it's more about the wedding and less about the marriage, but it would seem that they've known one another a long time, so may be this is something they have planned and saved for, for a long time.

Tawny

Tawny Report 26 Feb 2024 21:21

Definitely sounds like it was more about the wedding than the marriage. I hope they are happy together though. A lot of people now seem to forget that the wedding is a day and the marriage is every day after. Mr Owl and myself felt the same way the day after the wedding as we did the day before. Our relationship never changed, what the wedding did do was secure our legal rights and status.

I only have a rough idea how much my wedding cost as my parents thought we hadn’t spent enough of their money despite us assuring them that we had everything we wanted, so my mum organised a magician to entertain the guests at the drinks reception and my dad picked up the bar bill before the meal. Before my dad picked up the bar bill our wedding cost less than their cake.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Feb 2024 08:08

I suppose it does depend on where the money came from and how much they still have to live on. It may have been an inheritance for that exact reason. But it does seem an awful lot of money to normal people if not to millionaires. 200 people is a large number to cater for.