Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Greaders suggestions for Jan - Feb 15 books

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Jan 2015 17:16

As with the review thread put up very early but it doesn't mean I will go ahead with a vote if you haven't posted by the 5th.

2 books as usual.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Jan 2015 17:50

Rosebush by Michelle Taffe
Jane doesn’t remember being hit by a car and left for dead. But, stuck in the hospital, she realizes that her friends’ stories and her memories of what happened that night aren’t adding up.
And now the only thing she does know is that one of her friends isn’t so friendly.
One of them was trying to kill her.
One of them still is.

Sophia’s Secret by Susannah Kearsley
When best selling author Carrie McClelland visits the windswept ruins of Slains Castle, she is enchanted by the stark and beautiful Scottish landscape. The area is strangely familiar to her but she puts aside her faint sense of unease to begin her new novel, using the castle as her setting, and one of her own ancestors, Sophia, as her heroine. Then Carrie realises her writing is taking on a life of its own and the lines between fact and fiction become increasingly blurred.
As Sophia’s memories draw Carrie more deeply into the intrigue of 1708, she discovers a captivating love story lost in time.

Mersey

Mersey Report 2 Jan 2015 00:31

My suggestions are :-

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats - Jan-Phillip-Sendker

When a successful New York lawyer suddenly disappears without a trace, neither his wife nor his daughter Julia has any idea where he might be – until they find a love letter he wrote many years ago to a Burmese woman. Intent on solving the mystery and coming to terms with her father’s past, Julia decides to travel to the village where the woman lived. There she uncovers a tale of unimaginable hardship, resilience and passion that will change her life for ever. A poignant and heart-warming love story, The Art of Hearing Heartbeats will reaffirm your belief in the resilience of the human heart.

The Winter Folly - Lulu Taylor

It is 1965 and young Alexandra Crewe obediently marries the man her father has selected for her. But very soon both she and her husband Laurence realize that their marriage is a disaster. When real love finds Alexandra, plucking her out of her unhappy existence, she is powerless to resist. Her home becomes Fort Stirling, a beautiful Dorset castle, but Alexandra fears that there will be a price to pay for this wonderful new life. When tragedy strikes, it seems that her punishment has come, and there is only one way she can atone for her sins . . .

In the present day, Delilah Young is the second wife of John Stirling and the new chatelaine of Fort Stirling. The house seems to be a sad one and Delilah hopes to fill it with life and happiness. But when she attempts to heal the heartbreak in John’s life, it seems that the forces of the past might be too strong for her. Why does John have such a hatred for the old folly on the hill, and what happened to his mother when she vanished from his life? As Delilah searches for the truth, she realizes that perhaps some secrets are better left buried . . .

Persephone

Persephone Report 2 Jan 2015 22:49

As I have not been keeping up with the goings on, whilst giving myself a smack, I have been very busy on the road mostly and my laptop does not receive outside of the home.

Recommended

The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell

One drowsy summer's day in 1984, teenage runaway Holly Sykes encounters a strange woman who offers a small kindness in exchange for 'asylum'. Decades will pass before Holly understands exactly what sort of asylum the woman was seeking . . . The Bone Clocks follows the twists and turns of Holly's life from a scarred adolescence in Gravesend to old age on Ireland's Atlantic coast as Europe's oil supply dries up - a life not so far out of the ordinary, yet punctuated by flashes of precognition, visits from people who emerge from thin air and brief lapses in the laws of reality. For Holly Sykes - daughter, sister, mother, guardian - is also an unwitting player in a murderous feud played out in the shadows and margins of our world, and may prove to be its decisive weapon. Metaphysical thriller, meditation on mortality and chronicle of our self-devouring times, this kaleidoscopic novel crackles with the invention and wit that have made David Mitchell one of the most celebrated writers of his generation. Here is fiction at its most spellbinding and memorable best.

Getting Even by Sarah Rayner

Revenge has never been such fun How would you feel if your best friend at work betrayed you? Was secretly having an affair with an influential colleague? Won a coveted promotion, then teamed you up with a mere junior, leaving you feeling completely demoted? What would you do? For Ivy there's no choice. The only person she has ever trusted, Orianna, has blown it big time. So there's only one way forward: revenge. Ivy's campaign is brilliant, if horribly destructive, and she's determined to get even with the woman who has dared to cross her. But is Ivy really the innocent party? Or is she hiding secrets of her own? From Sarah Rayner, the international bestselling author of One Moment, One Morning (which we read some time ago) comes Getting Even , an unputdownable story of jealousy, sex, friendship and backstabbing set in the heart of London's Soho.

So if either of these have been read I can probably find another..

Pammy51

Pammy51 Report 3 Jan 2015 14:11

Just got back from Dorset so only just seen this.

My suggestions

Paying the Piper by Simon Wood

For years, the serial kidnapper known as the Piper got rich by abducting children from San Francisco’s wealthiest families.
When crime reporter Scott Fleetwood gets a call from a man identifying himself as the Piper and offers an exclusive interview, Fleetwood jumps at the chance. But the caller turns out to be a fake, and the rash decision costs the life of the real Piper’s latest victim.
For eight long years, Fleetwood has lived with unbearable guilt—and the enduring disdain of the entire Bay area. Now he hears from the real Piper—and it’s not for an interview. The kidnapper has the reporter’s son. But he doesn’t want money…he wants blood. And he’s going to use Fleetwood to get it.

My Dear I Wanted to Tell You by Louisa Young

Set on the Western Front, in London and in Paris, this is a moving and brilliant novel of love, class and sex in wartime, and how war affects those left behind as well as those who fight. While Riley Purefoy and Peter Locke fight for their country, their survival and their sanity in the trenches of Flanders, Nadine Waveney, Julia Locke and Rose Locke do what they can at home. Beautiful, obsessive Julia and gentle, eccentric Peter are married: each day Julia goes through rituals to prepare for her beloved husband' s return.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Jan 2015 14:47

Thank you. I am waiting to see if Bridget is going to join us before I do anything about the vote.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Jan 2015 12:54

copied from the last vote thread.

Bridget, I don't understand why you are adding to the old vote thread. Does this mean you are not going to give us any suggestions on this current Greaders suggestions for Jan- Feb 2015 thread?

In the Greaders group we make two suggestions every six weeks, we then vote for the books that we want to read (2 books but not the ones we have suggested). We then read at least the first chosen book and possible the second as well. At the same time on the review thread we review the chosen books from the previous period.

If you are just going to read and review books that you already have but are not chosen to read by the Greaders group then you would be better off reading and reviewing them on the Kindle books and other books I have read thread (by Mersey).

Can you let me know what exactly it is that you want to do. Have you got an e reader? If so, most of the books we choose are available on the kindle. :-) :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Jan 2015 16:55

I have now put the vote thread up as I don't think Tess can have a pc back yet.