Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

camera club xmas tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 17 Jun 2015 08:03

Hi

This year are camera club have been asked to decorate a Christmas tree. All the ornaments/decorations have to have a photographic theme and I am struggling to come up with any ideas. Can anyone suggest something I could make.

Thanks

Jane

Jane

Jane Report 17 Jun 2015 08:04

Oh and of course they have to have a hint of Christmas about them.

Jane

Von

Von Report 18 Jun 2015 21:58

Robins
Snowflakes.
Both would be fairly easy to make.
hope this helps
good luck
Von

Jane

Jane Report 19 Jun 2015 16:21

Thanks Von.

I am starting early to give me time to get some good ideas and then decide how I am going to make them.

all the best

Jane

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Jun 2015 17:34

Could you get hold of celluloid film? That could be streamers or ribbons if you spayed it with 'snow'.

Jane

Jane Report 21 Jun 2015 09:07

That's a good idea DetEcTive. I'm sure I can get some film from somewhere.

I have seen some little charms (that go on bracelets) on Ebay Maybe I could add some of them to Christmas tree decorations to give them that camera theme.

Thanks for your help

Jane

Pammy51

Pammy51 Report 21 Jun 2015 12:03

You could try cutting some simple camera shapes from shiny foil card (quite cheap from the Factory shop) and stick little circular, Christmassy pictures where the lens would be.

Annx

Annx Report 21 Jun 2015 20:25

Cut circles from a christmassy photo and stick one each side of a plain bauble.

You could cover small boxes in silver or coloured paper and stick a bottle top off a plastic bottle on as a lens after painting/spraying it. An old small jewellery box or matchbox would do or even a bit of oblong wood and you could attach coloured cord like the wrist strap to hang it by.

Jane

Jane Report 22 Jun 2015 07:09

Thanks Pammy51 and Annx

They are both very good ideas. Going along similar lines I did think about doing Christmas crackers. If I make them myself I could put photo/camera picture on them.

Well I had better get started soon or I shall run out of time. It does seem strange thinking about Christmas already.

All the best

Jane

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 22 Jun 2015 18:42

You could hang little photo frames with ribbon on the tree with Christmas pictures in them .
Instead of Ginger Bread men what about cutting out a camera shape ,melting a boiled sweet for the camera lens and hanging those on the tree with ribbons .

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Jun 2015 22:27

Snowflakes with photos on them so the flake is the frame.

I wonde if anyone has any old slides that they don't want, you could make the frame part of the slide chrismassy.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Jun 2015 22:28

Or you could make imitation slides with the centre being made from brightly coloured paper or acetate.

Jane

Jane Report 23 Jun 2015 08:10

Thanks Annin Glos and MillymollyAmanda

You have given me some very good idesa. Right now to get making things.

All the best

Jane

TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight Report 17 Nov 2015 10:09

Landscape = snow covered lanscape
Wild Life = bears, Robins Deers etc in the snow
Macro = close ups of snowflakes etc

All of this you can turn into decorations, add some to tincell, buy clear balls to hang on the tree & pop a photo in each one, Cut some into shapes & glue together to make like a paperchain. buy a big frame put some foem in the middle of it after removing the glass, then cover the foam with red fabric, add a photo of a donkey minus the tail & play pin the tail on the donkey
Hope this helps

Jane

Jane Report 19 Nov 2015 07:24

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have now started to make some decorations. I have gone with the photo frames, Christmas cards with photos stuck on them and I am making some small fabric Christmas stockings/bells etc with different cameras stitched on them. I think that will keep me busy. I was thinking of decorating baubles with photos but I am not sure the photos will lie flat. Never mind I have enough to do for now.

All the best

Jane

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Nov 2015 08:26

Sounds lovely :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Nov 2015 13:49

Sounds good and I am sure you will have fun.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Feb 2016 16:53

Jane how did you get on with this, did anyone come up with really novel things they made? Do let us know.

Jane

Jane Report 22 Feb 2016 07:05

Hi
I made some little Christmas cards/gift tags with photos on. They came up really nice. I tried to make little camera's but unfortunately they didn't work. The Christmas Stocking's came out ok but I didn't have enough of them so I have put them to one side and I will do them for next year. They will look nice once they are finished. Unfortunately I ran out of time to do the photo frames. Again I will try and get them done over the next few weeks so they are ready for next year.

The tree once decorated looked really nice. They had made streamers out of old film and sprayed glitter on it to make it pretty and someone had knitted little camera's which were very clever. All in all we did quite well. I don't think we won the competition but we had fun trying.

Jane

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Feb 2016 10:38

That is what it is all about then isn't it Jane? Having fun. Sounds good and give yourself more time next year. :-)