Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Random Search

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Richard

Richard Report 3 Sep 2019 19:43

All, this is abit random and not linked to my family tree but just wondered if anyone could help.

When we moved into our current house we found two lovely original paintings in the loft - and I've unsuccessfully been trying to trace the owners / history of them. The artists name is quite unique so thought it might be easy but I can't find much. Here's what I know:

Painting 1 - signed S.Tallquist - looks like 1971
Painting 2 - signed S.T '68

They were stored in a removals cardboard tube from ...rtells of Sutton Ltd, 71-74 Westmead Rd, Sutton, Surrey and has an inventory number against it.

It sounds a Scandivanian surname but I can't find any records of anyone by that name. We live in Sandhurst, Berks.

Would love to trace the family whose relative painted it,

Thanks,
Rich

Rambling

Rambling Report 3 Sep 2019 19:58

From a Swedish auction house, is it in similar style?

https://auctionet.com/en/440918-oidentifierad-konstnar-landskap-olja-pa-duk-signerad-s-tallquist

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Sep 2019 20:38

I suspect the cardboard tube is nothing to do with the paintings - just somewhere to keep them safe.

However, in case there's some link;
There's this company - not at Westmead Road now, but maybe previously ??

Martell's of Sutton Ltd
10-14 Stonecot Hill, Sutton, Surrey, SM3 9HE Directions
Tel 020 8337 3842

Martells were established in 1917 and have traded in Sutton since 1929. We supply beds, mattresses, bedroom furniture, sofabeds, recliner chairs and fireside chairs. Many leading brands available.
https://www.yell.com/biz/martell-s-of-sutton-ltd-sutton-412729/

malyon

malyon Report 3 Sep 2019 20:51

could have been brought back from abroad can't find and births or marriages with that name in uk

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 3 Sep 2019 23:11

As you know the address where these were found, maybe if you traced previous occupants of your house using old electoral lists ...... probably in your nearest main library ?? you could find who lived there since 1970s.

Contacting the above people with carefully worded questions, so that you can assess true ownership might be a way forward.

Richard

Richard Report 4 Sep 2019 19:40

Thanks all really helpful, the style is similar to the one in the auction house although the signature is a little different?

Good idea re house ownership although I imagine there would have been a fair few owners in the past 50 years - worth a try though?

Thanks,
Rich

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Sep 2019 16:31

I lived in my last home for 4 days short of 47 years.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Sep 2019 17:13

My in-laws' house has recently been sold.
They bought it in 1960s.

One of my own family relatives was 95, when he died in the house in which he had been born.
In all his life, he only spent 3 nights away from there.

Sometimes it seems that a particular house often has new occupants, whereas a nearby one has only long term residents.

Always worth a look........