Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 register please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 15 Jun 2022 18:48

I have been in touch with a lady who told me where she lived as a child. This is an area I know very well, but cannot identify the address, even on an early OS map.
Would someone kindly look up the couple in 1939 to see if it sheds any light on the address?

I have looked up her family, I think this is the correct one.

Thomas P Spencer b 1910 Bury Lancs
mar Annie Wallwork 1935 Bury.
Their children were born in the 1940's so won't be on the register.
The lady said she lived in Bamford, Rochdale, in a cottage called Sandbanks, next to the house, where her grandfather lived.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Jun 2022 19:04

Thomas P Spencer
in the 1939 England and Wales Register
Name: Thomas P Spencer
Marital Status: Married
Birth Date: 6 May 1910
Residence Date: 1939
Address: 2 Sandbank, Sand-Hole Lane <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Residence Place: Rochdale, Lancashire, England
Line Number: 43
Schedule Number: 98
Sub Schedule Number: 1
Enumeration District: Nnrm
Borough: Rochdale
Registration district: 470/3
Inferred Spouse:
Annie Spencer
Household Members Age
Thomas P Spencer 29
Annie Spencer 28

Other addresses in Sandhole Lane say Bamford. <<<<<<<<<<<

The grandfather -

At 1 Sandbank there are William Spencer (12 Feb 1879, foreman at a wool warehouse) , Jane Spencer (1 Nov 1882), and Barbara Spencer (22 Aug 1918, shorthand typist )

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 15 Jun 2022 19:10

Thank you so much, AG, I know Sandhole Lane, it is a row of old cottages, but I'll need to pay a visit to see if any of them is Sandbanks.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Jun 2022 22:53

In 1939 there are 9 addresses in Sandhole Lane.
1 and 2 are both Sandbank, Sandhole Lane; 4-9 are just called 4 Sandhole Lane and so on.

Numbers 1-9 are still listed on Zoopla.
On Google Streetview I can see that numbers 4-9 are still there, but before number 4 there's a modern house called Sandhole Cottage.
A plaque on the front says it's a 2003 rebuild of an1856 house - and is 3 Sandhole Lane, per Rightmove.
Then at the beginning of the lane there's a building I can't see properly on Streetview because of a high hedge - but that's presumably 1-2 Sandbank.
Possibly not called Sandbank nowadays, but just 1 & 2 Sandhole Lane.

EDIT:
The Streetview picture dates from 2012.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 16 Jun 2022 16:45

Thanks for that also, AG.