Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Army Pension 1840

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 31 Jan 2014 15:12

I'm researching an ancestor who was invalided out of the army in 1840 after 24 years. He received a pension of 2 shillings but it doesn't say how often it was paid. I know army pay was paid on a daily rate but don't think this was. Anyone any ideas please?
Linda

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Feb 2014 00:05

I can't answer your question Linda, but my grandfather came out of the army in 1913 after more than 20 years service and his pension was 13 old pence (1s. 1d.) per day for life.

Depending on why he was invalided out of the army and what his rank was I think it could be as much as 2 shillings a day but I really don't know for sure.

Kath. x

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Feb 2014 14:17

I suspect it's weekly based on their a daily rate, but not 100% sure

I did read somewere that army pensions were paid at half the daily rate of pay and refered to as "Half pay"

Soldiers' pay was nominally one shilling per day, but this was decreased by "stoppages" of up to sixpence (half a shilling) for their daily rations, and other stoppages for the issue of replacement clothing, damages, medical services and so on. In 1847, it was laid down that a soldier must receive at least one penny per day, regardless of all stoppages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Army_during_the_Victorian_Era

Roy

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 1 Feb 2014 15:52

For "other ranks" everything was always calculated on a daily basis. I have also read that extra was added for wounds etc. so if he was invalided out that might explain why the amount seems quite high for those days.

[For comparison - when I joined the WRNS in the 1950's, my pay was 7s 0d per day. We were paid fortnightly.]

Linda

Linda Report 1 Feb 2014 16:22

Hi joined the army in 1813 saying that he was 15 but in fact he was 13 and a half. He fought at Waterloo when he was 15. He was invalided out due to chronic rheumatism when he was 41 years old. In 1826 he was a serjeant and paid 1s 4d. Some time after this he was promoted to a colour serjeant and they were paid 1s 10d.

The document with the pensions is huge but looking at surrounding entries he seems to have done OK at 2 shillings, others only received between 6d and a shilling. I think I read somewhere that those who served at Waterloo received an extra 2 years on their pensions. I know they had an additional pay run, a sort of bonus for defeating Napoleon I suppose! Thomas is listed on it but no amount shown against his name.

Linda