Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

19th Dagger Division

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 3 Jan 2018 00:34

I have my grandfathers war record from WW2 and it shows he was a signalman with the 19th Dagger Division and was stationed in India and Ceylon.

From what I have found out about the 19th Daggers it appears to show though that it was made up of Indian army regiments and yet my grandfather signed up in Scotland in May 1939 and all his family are Glasgow born and bred going back more than 200 years.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find out how a British army regiment ended up serving in an Indian division?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 4 Jan 2018 22:25

It was the Indian Division of the British Army.

India had always had close links with the British Army as being part of the British Empire,so was part of the British Army.and came under the same ruling.

Tawny

Tawny Report 5 Jan 2018 12:59

Thank you for explaining that. It would explain why he served with an Indian regiment.