Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Father

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Donna

Donna Report 14 Feb 2018 06:05

I am desperate to find my biological Father I keep hitting brick walls
My Nan was the one who told me that the man who brought me up from 2 years old wasn’t my real dad I was roughly 12-13 years old, she gave me a picture of him which was from the day they got married, I have no relationship with my mother she flatly refuses to discuss anything about my father my mother’s exact words to me was - “it won’t make you a better by knowing anything about him” I was an only child and I didn’t Have a very good childhood it was very lonely. I have four beautiful children and I couldn’t imagine my life without them. I feel like there’s a peace of my life missing....The information I do have is....

Name - Colin George Morrice
D O B - 1953-1954
Place of birth - Hamburg Germany (his father was stationed over there with the British Army.
His Fathers Name - George Morrice
Brothers - Keith and Leslie
Married - Lynne Congdon (my mother) in 1972 @ Plymouth registry office.
They met in Plymouth my father was a chef in the Merchant Navy
I was born on the 4th May 1973 @ the queen Alexander’s nursing home.
My father is named on my birth certificate.

Can anyone help me please

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Feb 2018 09:59

Welcome to the Boards, Donna.

This might have been better posted on Find Living Relatives, but hey ho. You might want to edit your post to remove your full date of birth - identity theft & all that.

Do his brothers have a middle name/initial? There’s a cluster of records for all 3 names in Scotland. Do you have any idea if they had connections to the region? A Colin G lived around the Aberdeen area.

Failing that, there’s marriage in Northampton, 1985 with associated historical ER entries.

Don’t be too hard on your Mum. She obviously has bad memories. Perhaps she thinks she’s protecting you?. It’s not for us to judge.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Feb 2018 10:42

This is the reference for his birth certificate (you can order from the GRO ticking the overseas box):-

First name(s) Colin G
Last name Morrice
Sex Male
Birth year 1953
Place Hamburg
Country Germany
Type Armed Forces
Archive General Register Office
Source Gro Army Birth Indices (1881 To 1965)
Record's year range 1953
Page (2)89
Line number 135
Archive reference BARM
Record set British Armed Forces And Overseas Births And Baptisms

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Feb 2018 10:54

If Colin’s brothers were born in England/Wales, his mother’s maiden name, as per the certificate, might help to trace their details.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Feb 2018 11:26

There is a possible match for a death announcement for Colin's father on i announce.

This is just going on family names and the fact that George was in the army.
This may of course just be a coincidence.

http://www.bmdsonline.co.uk/evening-chronicle-&-the-journal/obituary/morrice/36926256?s_source=tmne_evch

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Feb 2018 11:34

If the obituary that Gwyn has found is the correct one for your grandfather (which it looks as though it probably is) then there is an electoral roll record on Findmypast with an address.

I will send the details by private message (check "messages" at the top of the screen).

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Feb 2018 11:49

I think that Colin's sisters were born in England and at least one of his brothers was born in Germany. I can't find a birth for the other brother.

Kath. x

Mary

Mary Report 14 Feb 2018 13:32

Google George Lesley Morrice 1929 and it takes you to www.myheritage.com there is a photo of George and info, also a Christopher Morrice has a tree on here with the same people .
He also has a private tree on ancestry.co.uk

Maryb.

Donna

Donna Report 14 Feb 2018 13:55

Thank you thank you all for your messages I am so very grateful for the help that you can give me.
The later part of 2017 I was really unwell (I’ve worked since I was 14 years old)
So having that time to really think about things especially things that I had locked away for many years..
My stepfather told me that my biological father came down to Plymouth with his new wife when I was around 5 years old so (1978 maybe) but my mother turned him away

Also when I was 14 my mother married again he wanted to legally adopt me and have my surname changed to his....as my mother was married to Him when I was
born they had to get my fathers permission.the courts traced him and he refused
So the family court judge said I cud only be known as Bevan nothing legal was aloud to be changed....if that makes sense...thank u again I’m so grateful for any information I can get...xxxx

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 4 Mar 2018 19:44

Hi.
Have you tried the BT on line phone book for Morrice you will have to try each county for his initial also his brothers initials.

Names of the Counties can you found on the internet.

May only lead to a few false phone calls, but may by worth a try.

Malc.

Donna

Donna Report 5 Mar 2018 16:25

THANK YOU....to everyone that took the time to help me in finding my biological dad Colin Morrice.
Within 24 hours of me putting a message on the genes reunited message board..I was actually speak to my dad on the telephone ?? MY DAD (the words I never thought I’d say) was standing in my kitchen the very next day... he traveled down from Northampton to Plymouth & stayed with the whole weekend. NO WORDS WILL EVER BE ENOUGH TO EXPLAIN HOW HAPPY WE ALL ARE...I WANT TO THANK U ALL FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART..YOU ARE ALL TRULY AMAZING ???? PEOPLE ????????xxxx lots of love from DONNA & MY DAD COLIN

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Mar 2018 17:21

Brilliant news! Thank you for letting us know :-D

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Mar 2018 21:43

I'm so pleased for you and your dad Donna. It's a really good feeling to know that those of us who like to help out on here have actually made a real difference. I hope everything works out well between you and your dad.

Kath. x

Sonia

Sonia Report 12 Jun 2018 20:20

Hi. Donna that has happened to me. I never remember my real father I have photo's of him. I thought my step father was my father until I was 14 years old. I was at the doctors that was when I found out that I had another father my birth father. But the sad news was I couldn't meet him as he died when I was 8 years he choked to death.
I have no brother and sister by him with my mum. I have half brother's and sister's.
It does now tell on me that I wished he was living. It is a awful feeling of knowing that when you are apart of someone that no longer is here.

Sonia