Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royal Artillery recruit 1870

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

WhiffingSiggs

WhiffingSiggs Report 9 May 2018 20:43

I've found a recruit to The R.A. 1870 by the name of Frederick Siggs who ties in with a missing relative (almost). His age doesn't tally, given as 21. My Frederick would have been 24 but they are both recorded as having been born in Chelsea. Another Frederick Siggs who is recorded as being born in 1850 is closer in age but the birthplace is wrong (Lambeth) though not far away (wrong side of the river !) Can anyone throw any light on to who this Royal Artillery recruit might be ? Thanks , Kevin

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 10 May 2018 12:14

Do you know your Frederick's mother's maiden name? If so, look up the other Frederick on the GRO site and see if he has the same MMN. Then you will at least know how many different people are involved.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 May 2018 13:02

SIGGS, FREDERICK EVERNDEN EVERNDEN Order
GRO Reference: 1850 J Quarter in LAMBETH Volume 04 Page 275 Order

This one was illegitimate, as per your thread on Find Ancestors

SIGGS, FREDERICK - Order
GRO Reference: 1846 D Quarter in SAINT LUKE CHELSEA Volume 03 Page 62

No other births for the name in the time-frame, but as there were no penalties until 1875, it may not have been registered

Presumably, you're trying to locate 'your' Frederick in 1871, as he doesn't appear with the rest of the family in the census info posted on your other thread

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 May 2018 13:04

1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Barnsbury Road, Islington All Saints, Islington, London & Middlesex, England
Learn more

Print View image Add to tree Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Frederick G Siggs Head - Male 46 1825 - Kent, England Transcription
Mary A Siggs Wife - Female 44 1827 - Kent, England Transcription
Henry E Siggs Son - Male 23 1848 - Kent, England Transcription
Frederick E Siggs Son - Male 20 1851 - Surrey, England Transcription****************BOOTMAKER
William E Siggs Son - Male 18 1853 - Surrey, England Transcription
Mary A E Siggs Daughter - Female 15 1856 - Surrey, England Transcription
George E Siggs Son - Male 12 1859 - Surrey, England Transcription
Samuel E Siggs Son - Male 6 1865 - Kent, England Transcription
Thomas E Siggs Son - Male 2 1869 - Middlesex, England

He is on all censuses through to 1911

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 May 2018 13:08

Where did you find the RA record?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 May 2018 13:10

Name: Frederick Siggs
Birth Year: Abt 1849
Birth Place: Chelsea, Middlesex
Desertion Date: 16 Jul 1876
Desertion Place: Woolwich
Publication Date: 31 Jul 1876
Regimental Number: 1381
Military Corps: Royal Artillery

Ancestry links this to the 1851 and 1861 censuses for your chap (Margaret's son)

WhiffingSiggs

WhiffingSiggs Report 10 May 2018 18:44

Interesting. I saw the R.A. connection in a National Archives listing but haven't enquired after it yet as I was hoping there may be other sources available. This was on Ancestry you say ? Thanks for looking, I wonder what became of a deserter in those days ...

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 May 2018 11:22

https://tinyurl.com/y9kts6cr

About UK, Military Deserters, 1812-1927
This collection is comprised of lists of deserters from Her Majesty's Service, published in the UK Police Gazette between 1812 and 1927. Desertion was an extremely serious offence and those found guilty were subject to court martial and potentially a death sentence.

If any of the helpers has All Access membership to Ancestry (or membership of Fold3) they'll be able to see the details of that desertion record for you.

I don't see Frederick's death in 1876, however.

There are actually two desertion records - the other has the publication date 28 July 1876 - different stages of the case, I suppose:

Frederick Siggs
in the UK, Military Deserters, 1812-1927
Name: Frederick Siggs
Birth Year: Abt 1849
Birth Place: Chelsea, Middlesex
Desertion Date: 16 Jul 1876
Desertion Place: Woolwich
Publication Date: 28 Jul 1876
Regimental Number: 1381
Military Corps: Royal Artillery

WhiffingSiggs

WhiffingSiggs Report 12 May 2018 22:49

Thanks, it's interesting, I can't find a death record either. I've just joined ancestry to have a look at this but it doesn't seem to be registering. I've spent a long time on and off trying to find this person, I had a copy of his birth certificate but i seem to have lost 12 or more years of paperwork somehow.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 May 2018 09:44

Link to your other thread about this, for helpers' reference:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1372026