Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Geoffrey Fredrick Bass

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Estelle

Estelle Report 29 Jun 2018 14:58

Hello All,
I have for sometime been trying to get details of my father's service record/details. Official date of birth 25/4/1925, believe though he told a porky about his age so tat he could enlist. Born in Orsett , Kettering

He was in the Navy served on the MTB the dates I am not sure of but could be 1939/1940 then I believe demobilised in C Town from HMS Afrikaner. I do not know his rank numbers etc.

Thanks Estelle

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Jun 2018 17:33

His service records will still be with the MOD and not online.

Have a look here to find out how to apply (if they are the same as army records they will cost £30 and can take several months to arrive):-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Kath. x

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 30 Jun 2018 15:28

Unlike the Army and RAF, the Navy doesn't keep records of personnel after they have left. They are handed to the person concerned as a form of reference to use when applying for a new job.

I don't know whether this was the case during the war, but I would have thought that the records formed part of the demob. papers, and your father was given them when he left.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Jul 2018 10:11

Follow this link & read JoyLouise’ post dated 9 Oct 2016 10:54
https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1183513?d=desc

Estelle

Estelle Report 1 Jul 2018 18:26

Hello All,

Thanks for your answers and suggestions. I do not have his Rank or whatever titles they use in the Navy.

Will look into your suggestions.
Have a good week.
Estelle