Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can somebody help me create my g gfs ww1 story?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 12 Jul 2018 16:22

Hi there

I am a 20 year old genealogy enthusiast and within the past year I have uncovered some ancestors that fought in ww1. I knew that in one branch of my tree that my great great grandfather fought in ww1 , but didn't even think about searching for his son my great grandfather. It appears he followed his father and also joined up. He seemed to have been posted to a few places. However he was no angel. It appears he was imprisoned over there for being drunk and trying to run away and for sleeping on his post. He finally diserted and was court martialled. There is 28 pages on ancestry about him but sadly a lot of the pages are worn away!!

His name William Kennedy his number 11387.

By the way his father Samuel was discharged as "unlikely to make a good soldier".

I was wondering if anybody can create a presentation for me or a story summing up my great grandfathers time in the army. I can send you the records if you have no access to ancestry. Or maybe if you cannot do it , do you know an individual or company that does this kind of stuff? I would pay if needed.

Thanks!!!

Regards

John

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Jul 2018 00:52

I have looked at the images for your ancestors army records on Findmypast and they are not easy to read, although he does seem to have been a very naughty boy! I don't think anyone could make any better job of going through the records than you could yourself as all you can do is enlarge the images as much as possible and try to make out what they have to say.

There are some dates and places and also mention of sickness that he suffered.

I don't personally know of any company that would do the sort of thing you are looking for.

Have you tried getting in touch with the regimental museum to see if anyone there can help you?

Kath. x

John

John Report 17 Jul 2018 22:13

Thankyou Kath for the help! I have email the regimental museum , hopefully they get back to me soon.

Cheers xo :-)