Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

patrick meara ww1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

o brien

o brien Report 6 Sep 2018 13:50

looking for info on the above, born in tipperary served as lance corporal in first world war,left for ireland circa 1916 due to gas poisoning and died in 1918, service number was 4211. buried in borrokane in co tipperary, he was in 2nd batallion royal irish rifles
many thanks tomas

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Sep 2018 15:33

First name(s) Patrick
Last name Meara
Age 23
Birth year 1894
Birth county Tipperary
Birth country Ireland
Service number 4211
Regiment Irish Guards
Unit / Battalion 3rd Reserve Battalion
Year 1917
Residence county Tipperary
Residence country Ireland
Series WO 363
Series description Wo 363 - First World War Service Records 'Burnt Documents'
Archive The National Archives
Record set British Army Service Records

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Sep 2018 15:37

I have down loaded his service record from Findmypast but I will have to get my son to forward it to you later tonight (unless anyone else gets it for you before that) as I'm not too good with sending images.

Kath. x

o brien

o brien Report 6 Sep 2018 15:46

thanks kath that would be great if your son could send info. i was hoping to find the year he enlisted and the year he came back to ireland it certainly could be 1917, i just assumed it was 1916,
many thanks again
tomas o brien :-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Sep 2018 15:57

He was discharged as "no longer physically fit for war services" on 20th Dec. 1917.

He attested on 13th Sept. 1912.

He had Phthisis - which is pulmonary tuberculosis.

Kath. x

o brien

o brien Report 6 Sep 2018 18:48

many thanks kath, your a star

tomas obrien

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Sep 2018 23:34

Have sent the service record images by private message now Tomas. Check your messages and click on "get attachments" at the bottom of the message.

Kath. x

o brien

o brien Report 8 Sep 2018 08:02

kathleen that was brilliant file u sent me, really appreciate it, it had all i wanted, thanks again

tomas o brien