Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice required re US/UK Navy records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Georgina

Georgina Report 22 Oct 2018 18:51

I am not sure if I am posting this on the correct forum but would be helpful for any advice as to how to go forwared. My friend was adopted and is now in touch with her birth mother's family but has no information about her father and nor do the family. We suspect her father was a GI as she was born in 1946 and her mother was in the land army in Norfolk. Recently a photo surfaced and on the back is a name with the words US Navy. SS Martin van Buren. Care of P.O. New York.

I can only think that perhaps it may be possible to find out who served on SS Martin van Buren and if the name of the person is there it may be possible to look up his naval history. This may not be her father but is the only clue they have. The name is Joseph Olezah (we think) but the last letter may be wrong.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Oct 2018 19:32

The SS Martin van Buren was a Merchant Vessel - not a US Navy vessel
Google for full info

Georgina

Georgina Report 22 Oct 2018 21:20

Thank you for your reply. have you any tips as to how we could move forward

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Oct 2018 22:20

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1374204

mgnv

mgnv Report 31 Oct 2018 09:32

Just because the SS Martin van Buren was a Merchant Vessel doesn't preclude her being equipped with AA guns which would be manned by US Navy personnel.