Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

6/7 Bn 59th Division RSF April 1918

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PJ

PJ Report 10 Nov 2018 19:24

My grandfather, Hugh McQuillan enlisted as Pvte., Highland Light Infantry. He later received commission as 2nd Lt. RSF #169669, military record from National Archives indicated he was removed from his unit 17 April 1918 result of "battle casualty". He was sent to Leith War Hospital. I have the War Diary for that period. I'm not adept at understanding the location and military significance. I'd like to know the circumstances around his wounding specifically his unit's location and actions. Appears he was given 4 month convalescence. I do not know where he was sent after that time. He was released from military duty effective 1 Jan. 1919 by War Office letter, subject to re-call in urgent military necessity. Anyone able to direct my search for further information is greatly appreciated. My family and I are honored by his service and mindful of his comrades that did not return. His great grandson and great great grandson have followed his footsteps into US Infantry service. Thank you

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Nov 2018 12:33

Don't know if this might help regarding the Royal Scot Fusiliers (RSF)

6th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Ayr in August 1914 as part of K1 and came under orders of 27th Brigade, 9th (Scottish) Division. Moved to Bordon and in February 1915 to Bramshott.
11 May 1915 ; landed at Boulogne.
7 May 1916 : transferred to 45th Brigade, 15th (Scottish) Division and amalgamated with 7th Bn to become 6/7th Bn.
21 February 1918 : transferred to 59th (2nd North Midland) Division as Pioneer Battalion.
10 May 1918 : reduced to cadre strength.
18 June 1918 : transferred to 47th Brigade, 16th Division and returned to England, moving to Deal.
2 July 1918 : absorbed by 18th Scottish Rifles.

Taken from /www.longlongtrail.co.uk
Have you downloaded the RSF war diaries? Perhaps the actions around 17 Apr 1918 might give you a clue about what was going on.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Nov 2018 12:33

Welcome to the boards.

Is this his medal card? :-

First name(s) Hugh
Last name McQuillan
Year 1914-20
Service number 31673
Rank Private,Second Lieutenant
Second rank Second Lieutenant
Regiment Highland Light Infantry, Royal Scots Fusiliers
Second corps Royal Scots Fusiliers
Service record Soldier Number: 31673, Rank: Private, Corps: Highland Light Infantry
Second service record Rank: Second Lieutenant, Corps: Royal Scots Fusiliers
Image link
Country Great Britain
Medal type British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920
Archive reference WO372/13
Archive reference description Campaign Medal Index Cards and Silver War Badge Cards
Record set Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory Medal Rolls and Honours
Collections from Great Britain, UK None

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Nov 2018 12:47

I've tried searching the CWGC to see if there were a number of casualties for the RSF on or around 17 Apr 1918.

The closest is Thursday, April 5, 1917 buried in FAUBOURG D'AMIENS CEMETERY, ARRAS.

The next is Friday, September 27, 1918 with a number of burials at HERMIES HILL BRITISH CEMETERY

What ever caused his injury wasn't directly as a result of a planned Action. What do your records say about it? There's usually some abbreviation like GSW (gun shot wound)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Nov 2018 12:51

Kath - if its the same medal card, there seems to be a notation that the British & Victory medals were returned in 1921.
A number of servicemen were so disgusted at the horrors they endured, and the way they were treated after hostilities had ceased, that they returned the medals in protest.