Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Charles Henry Pearce, POW

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 28 Nov 2018 21:23

Help. I am looking for information on the above. I am told that he was in the Royal Corps of Signals, and was a POW in the far east. He was born in 1907, and may have been awarded a BEM.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 29 Nov 2018 10:23

Born 15 Nov 1907 in Aston, Birmingham??

He's in someone's tree on Ancestry, with a photo.

No details of military service, apart from various scans of paperwork in the "Gallery" on the tree.
There's a scan of a record of his BEM, reported in the Supplement to the London Gazette of 28/06/1945, page 3372.

He was a corporal in the Royal Corps of Signals, and served in Italy.

This is the link given on that page:

www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/37151/supplements/3372

He's the 10th one on the list in the right-hand column on that page.

His military number was 14561849

He married Elizabeth Helen Todd in 1933 in Halifax, Yorkshire, and died in 1968

There are also scanned photos of info re Japanese POWs , though nothing mentioning his name..

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 29 Nov 2018 10:36

Another scanned document in the Gallery says:

This NCO has, during the period under review, carried out his duties in a highly meritorious manner, combining the qualities of a good NCO with those of a first-class tradesman. While in charge of a Rocca Test Point he was responsible for the maintenance of the Rocca-Forli Section of the route. This portion of the route was broken frequently by shelling, but it was seldom out of service for more than a short period owing largely to the resourcefulness and energy of this NCO, who displayed a devotion to duty and ability far beyond that which would normally be expected of a junior NCO.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 29 Nov 2018 20:18

Thanks for the help. His niece tells me that he was a POW in the far east. Perhaps she has it wrong. I will contact her and see where she got this from.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 29 Nov 2018 20:27

The tree on Ancestry, by the way, is his niece, my second cousin.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Nov 2018 21:32

Are you in a position to order a copy of his service record? They cost £30

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 1 Dec 2018 18:57

I will give the details to his niece, If she wants them she can pay for them. That came out a bit brusque, didn't it? I didn't mean it so.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Dec 2018 10:53

She may be asked to provide a copy of his death cert, and proof of her relationship to him.