Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

boer war

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 20 Jun 2019 21:49

My daughters husband has a box handed down to him from a family member, It was made by a prisoner of war , carved on it is Corporal Gibbs Boer war with the letters B A M G does anyone know what the letters stand for

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Jun 2019 22:49

Have you tried googling?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Jun 2019 00:20

Can't find anything by Googling. Could they be the initials of the person who made the box?

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Jun 2019 09:33

If you haven’t already, you may have to trace his family back to see if it contains anyone by the name of Gibbs. It may not necessarily be a direct ancestor, but someone who was ‘married in’ eg a great great aunts, husband’s sister’s brother- in-law!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Jun 2019 17:22

Just in case relevant:

Gibbs
in the Web: South Africa, Second Boer War British Service Register, 1899-1902
Name: Gibbs
Military Rank: Corporal
Military Date: 1899-1902
Military Country: South Africa
Reference: Reference to a written source
Link:

The link leads here:

http://www.casus-belli.co.uk/index.asp?PageId=108

You'd have to register, and pay to view the record.

There were several other Gibbs men who were corporals in the Boer War. None has the initial B, but maybe B A M Gibbs was the POW's wife or child.

The only one with no initial given is the above man, who was in the Scots Guards.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 25 Jun 2019 08:35

It may be relative to something like "British Army Mafeking Garrison" or similar and not familial.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Jun 2019 09:40

Re-reading the opening post - I had thought the box just had BAMG on it, but now I realise it also had "Corporal Gibbs Boer War", so it's not a decorative item as I'd imagined, such as a jewellery box which might have been made for a wife/sweetheart/chld.

Is it a big box, such as the man might have kept all his belongings in while a POW?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jun 2019 20:32

Have you traced the lineage of the 'family member' who handed down the item?

Is there a connection to the name Gibbs?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 28 Jun 2019 15:03

Just got back to my Daughter and she has had another look at the box . She now believes looking at the C in Corporal it is carved like a G so the letters are BAMC so do you think it could be the British Army Medical Corps

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 28 Jun 2019 15:12

We have been trying to put a name to Corporal Gibbs going back through the family.The most likely is a Frederick, the family came from the London area.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Jun 2019 15:18

Can you give us more info on him, please?
Dates? Parents? Siblings?

BAMC - the Corps name was/is Royal Army Medical Corps.
Is the B definitely B? Could it be R?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jul 2019 18:01

The RAMC was so named in 1898. Just before the start of the Boer War

Are you going to share with us what you know about Frederick, so that we can try to help? Or don’t you want any more assistance?