Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RAF St. Athens 1963- Davey Jones ‘taffy’

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hannah

Hannah Report 8 Jan 2020 21:12

I am looking for my biological grandfather. My late father was adopted in 1964 and his biological mother refused to give us any information on his father. I am aware they met in ST Athens in South Wales around about 1963 where he was in the RAF as a dog handler- I think he would be 70 years old roughly. I have been given the name Davey jones as my grandfathers name but whether this is accurate or not it is unknown, also he was referred to as ‘taffy’
Any help would be great
Thank you

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 8 Jan 2020 21:34

No service records online from 1920 they are still with the MOD so you won't find his service record.

Davey - name as in Davey Jones locker so could be a nickname. Perhaps David.

The name is too vague, Taffy refers to a Welsh person and Jones is such a common name.

Your best bet may be a DNA test. Look for the special offers.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 8 Jan 2020 21:56

He must be older than 70.

Nowadays you have to be 17.5 to join the RAF, so assuming it was the same in the 1950s-60s, if he was a dog handler in 1963, he must have been at least 18 or 19 then.

So, born c1945 at the latest., and therefore at least 74 now.

There's an RAF base at St Athan, so that's no clue as to where in Wales he was born.

There were about 730 David or Dafydd Joneses born in Wales 1941-45, per Ancestry.

And he might not even have been Welsh - he may have been nicknamed Taffy just because he had a Welsh-sounding name.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Jan 2020 11:27

Duplicate thread, also with replies:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1381279

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 6 Feb 2020 06:07

RAF St Athen have a boy entrants page on facebook if thats any use , as a contact point. Going on his age he could have been one, they were mostly in the 1960s