Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

service number

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosemary48

Rosemary48 Report 8 Mar 2020 12:46

Does anyone out there understand service numbers.
My dad joined the army as a boy soldier - not sure of the Regiment. He may have left the army but by 1940 was in the South Staffs in Eygpt. At the end of the war he left but in about 1953 joined the Parachute Regiment.
Would he have had one number from being a boy soldier or would he have been given a new number for each enlistment? I only know of one number but don't think it's a South Staffs number. Thanks

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 8 Mar 2020 15:24

I found this by using Google. The whole article will give you more details.

Service Number - ARRSEpediawww.arrse.co.uk › wiki › Service_Number

4 Oct 2008 - There were 3 old numbering systems in use prior to 1950. If a soldier transferred to another regiment he got a new number. The second system was introduced in 1920 under Army Order 388 with each regiment allocated its own block of numbers: Royal Army Service Corps 1 - 294000 and 10660001 - 11000000.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Mar 2020 16:37

If you send off for his service record giving his name and the number you have they should still find his records and they will include all the numbers he had been issued with.

Kath. x

Rosemary48

Rosemary48 Report 8 Mar 2020 19:51

Thanks Andysmum and Kath, will send of the number I have and hopefully they will find his records. I wish I'd picked his brains about his service when he alive - could kick myself for not taking more interest.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Mar 2020 20:05

I think we are all the same. I wasn't interested enough (nor did I have the time) to ask about our family history when there were family members alive who could help. Even now after 17 years research there are still times when I find myself thinking "my man will love to hear about this" - then I remember she's not here anymore and I can't tell her. It's such a shame because she didn't know much about her mother's family as her mother died young and now I could tell her lots if only she was still with us.

I think most people doing family research will feel the same as you Rosemary.

Kath. x

Rosemary48

Rosemary48 Report 8 Mar 2020 20:21

I agree Kath, wished I'd asked more questions, that's why I'm writing down as much as I can find so my grandchildren know their ancestors (good and bad) x

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 9 Mar 2020 14:53

My mother always wondered why her father-in-law disliked his son so much and treated my gran like a slave. Within a very short time of starting family history I could have told her - my father was born just 4 months after the wedding, so I guess grandad was forced into marriage and blamed it all on the baby!!