Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 Medals

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosemary48

Rosemary48 Report 27 May 2020 14:45

My grandfather was entitled to the British War Medal 1914-1918 and the Victory Medal. He died in France in March 1918 but my grandmother apparently would not believe he wasn't coming home. None of my family know if she ever had his medals. Is there anyway I can check to see if the medals were in fact issued or if they were not, can I obtain them? Many thanks.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 May 2020 15:07

Info and instructions here on how to apply for a WW1 medal:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-medal-or-veterans-badge/apply-for-a-medal

BUT:
"You can only apply for World War 1 medals if the original was returned."

But you could email to ask about whether of not he had received a medal at the time:

[email protected].

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 May 2020 15:14

There are some WW1 medal records on Ancestry, and doubtless on FMP as well.

If you don't have a sub to either of those sites, let us know his details and we can have a look.

But bear in mind that many WW1 records haven't survived.

Rosemary48

Rosemary48 Report 27 May 2020 15:17

Thanks for the info.