Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Acting Able Seaman Horace Bailey

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynn

Lynn Report 8 Aug 2020 17:36

Can anyone help me I have the service records ofmy father but it does not tell me which ship he served on. It has HMS Glendower, Hms President 111 and HMS Drake but I feel that these are all land ships how do I find out which ship he served on.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Aug 2020 17:55

Perhaps he didn’t actually go to sea?

Have you checked that the establishments you name were land-based - or are you guessing?

When did he join up? For how many years did he serve?

If, as is normally the case, your father was given his record on discharge, he would have been asked to verify that it was accurate, and sign for it.

If the shore estabishments are the only ones named - he didn't go to sea.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Aug 2020 18:07

HMS Glendower was a Naval Camp at Pwllheli (Butlin's)
HMS Drake is Devonport
HMS President iii was a shore establishment https://dedworth.org.uk/hms-president-iii/

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Feb 2021 16:53

Royal Navy Museum?

Several years ago I rang them, told them what I was looking for (Dad's service records) and received forms to apply for records. (Cost was then £30.)

I was told, however, that while my Dad would have been given his full service records (he served before, during and a bit after WW2), I may find that they only had a shortened version so it may be a waste of money. The fact that 'a waste of money' was mentioned meant that I took it to mean the guy had quickly checked and that was indeed all they had.

I have no idea what Dad did with his - probably ditched them as we've never found them anywhere. Sad, really, as he certainly saw some action both in Europe and Asia - but he was not one to reminisce or tell us any stories other than funny ones about his time in the Navy before the war.

Yet he kept some wonderful photos and all of his medals - but as we'd been allowed to play with the medals as children, towards the end of his life he had to send for new ribbons which had gone missing while playing, so he could hand the medals on to his eldest son (my brother).

Never one to stand on ceremony was Dad - and very easy-going. He still had that Navy roll until the end. <3

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Feb 2021 12:18

Lynn didn't bother to return to her thread, so your post is unlikely to be seen. It pays to check before posting