Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

fold3

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 7 Feb 2021 13:30

hi,does anyone have access to this who would be kind enough to look up john pomery
,it says born c1859(was 3.4.1858)corporal in hampshire reg.40 brigade, 639. its on the chelse hospital bit, ididtn know he was in the army but he died april the following year aged 22, so it fits in well. iv tried googling the hampshire reg,40 brigade in that year and cant find anything, so would realy appreciate any help, many thanks jackie x

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Feb 2021 13:46

Hampshire Regiment = 67th Regiment of Foot (google)

This from Find My Past records -

British Army Service Records

First name(s) John
Last name Pomery
Birth year 1859
Birth parish Cowes
Birth town Cowes
Birth county Hampshire
Birth country England
Service number 639
Rank Corporal
Regiment 67th Reg Of Foot
Year 1877
Attestation date 05 Sep 1877
Attestation age years 18
Attestation age months 5
Discharge corps 67th Reg Of Foot
Discharge service number 639
Document type Discharge
Archive reference WO 97
Series Wo 97 - Chelsea Pensioners British Army Service Records 1760-1913
Box 2078
Box record number 187
Archive
The National Archives
Country England
Record set British Army Service Records
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory Regimental & Service Records
Collections from Great Britain, England

Will look at original on Find My Past

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Feb 2021 13:57

Discharge documents raised on 14.3.1881 in Bangalore

Served 3 years 191 days during which time he served abroad for 2 years and 150 days - in East Indies for 327 days and Afghanistan 1 year 120 days, plus Afghan to Disembarkation 58 days.

Discharged as found unfit for further service
Conduct good, never on defaulters

Was by trade a Medical student, born in Cowes and attested for the 40th Brigade at Winchester on 5 Sep. 1877 at the age of 18 year 5 months.

Was discharged 13 Sept. 1881 aged 22 years and 5 months. 5ft 4.5", Sallow complexion, Grey eyes, Brown hair. Intended to live at Bursledon, Hants
(try the Fox and Hounds /Lone Barn if you get the chance at Bursledon)

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 7 Feb 2021 14:28

thankyou so much greyghost,his father was a surgeon, so def makes sense, im just up the rd from bursledon so thats also good to know,he went back to the family home, i realy appreciate you finding this for me, :) :-)