Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Obtaining Military Recods. Help please.?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nala

Nala Report 3 Feb 2022 10:45

My Grand father Joined the Prince Albert.s Own 11th Hussars, Attestaion was 05/01/1887 at the age of 23yrs.

Can you give me help in suggesting where i can get his records please (if poss)?

Thanks in advance. Regards Nala.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Feb 2022 11:16

If the records still exist then you can find out how to order them from here:-

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

They usually cost £30 and take quite a few months to arrive.

However about 70% of WW1 records were destroyed in a fire so they may be amongst those destroyed.

Findmypast have some WW1 surviving records so if you want to give a name someone could have a look for you.

Kath. x

Nala

Nala Report 3 Feb 2022 11:35

Hello and Thanks Kath.

I have downloaded the request form and will now put things into action.

I do hope this brings me more insight into my late Grandfather. Family rumour has it that he deserted!. well i do hope to find more. Nala.

Maddie

Maddie Report 3 Feb 2022 13:05

there are lots of records on fmp for this reg in 1887
would you like a look up

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Feb 2022 10:59

If you gave a name, we could possibly help you!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Feb 2022 11:06

First name(s) Samuel
Attestation corps 11th (Prince Albert'S Own) Hussars
Last name Stone
Discharge corps 11th (Prince Albert'S Own) Hussars
Birth year 1864
Document type Attestation
Birth parish Arley Kings
Archive reference WO 97
Birth town Stourport
Series Wo 97 - Chelsea Pensioners British Army Service Records 1760-1913
Birth county Worcestershire
Box 3957
Birth country England
Box record number 44
Service number 2649
Archive The National Archives
Regiment 11th Hussars
Country England
Year 1887
Record set British Army Service Records
Attestation date 05 Jan 1887
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Attestation age years

His record is on FMP

He deserted 21/04/1888, was tried, convicted and imprisoned 09/09/1893

As you had found his attestation, one would have thought you could have looked at his record

Nala

Nala Report 5 Feb 2022 12:26

Thank you Erika H. for your message and finding which are very informative to me.

The Attestation date was given to me by a researcher from another website some weeks ago.

It is very good of you to send this too me.

Kind regards Nala.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Feb 2022 15:05

I have just been checking on Findmypast for this record and found that I had viewed it in the past. On checking my old sent messages I sent you the service records for Samuel Stone in November 2016.

If you check in your "messages" you should find the images there from 2016.

These images are the same as you would receive if you send away for his service records so you don't need to spend £30 and wait for months. :-)

Kath. x

Nala

Nala Report 6 Feb 2022 06:45

Thank you Kathleen :-) about 18 months ago my computer or laptop was infected after. A scam email. Long story...so I am collecting old details again. I have learnt to delete many more things now Nala

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Feb 2022 10:36

Hi Nala,

If you can wait till this evening when my son is home from work I will get him to send the images again (I'm not very good at getting things like that done). You should then be able to print them to keep.

Kath. x

Nala

Nala Report 6 Feb 2022 12:45

Kathleen, this is very good of you.

Nala.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Feb 2022 13:45

Nala -
you should remove the email address, as this isn't a secure site and you're laying yourself open to scam and other unwanted emails.

You can contact Kath privately by clicking on her board name (KathleenBell) at the top of one of her posts.

In fact, she doesn't need your email address, as she can send you document files in a similar private message to you, via GR.
If she does that, keep a look-out for an email from GR, with a link to her message.
(Or look at "Messages" at top of this page.)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Feb 2022 15:22

Hi Nala (Alan),

ArgyllGran is right, you don't need to put your email address on these boards as it is not safe to do so. My son will send the images through GR's messaging service (although it is likely to be quite late when he gets in).

Just keep checking in "messages" and then "my inbox" later tonight or tomorrow.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Feb 2022 08:00

Sorry Nala, my son didn't get home until very late last night and still had work to do at home so he will send the images at some point today.

Kath. x