Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PHOTOS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 18 Jul 2023 12:35

I don’t know if anyone can help or even if I’m on the right page, my dad was in the fleet air arm from 1941/1952 now I know he got married in his uniform and I’ve seen a lovely one of him on his own in uniform but I think when my father died my mother got rid of these photos, my question is and it’s a long shot is there any where I could get a copy any help would be grateful thank you

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Jul 2023 17:03

I think your only hope of a copy would be if a relative had one, or if the photo had appeared in a local newspaper after the wedding.

Even if you knew the photographer's name (assuming it was a professional photo), they're not likely to have archives from so long ago - if the firm still exists.

Linda

Linda Report 18 Jul 2023 20:12

Thank you I knew it was a long shot

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Jul 2023 10:13

Linda
It is a long shot, but you never know......

My parents had wedding photos of various friends taken in 1930s.
Maybe extended family or family of a best man or bridesmaid still have photos if you reach out to them.
or.......
Are there any online Service sites linked to the Fleet Air Arm where you could post a request?

Linda

Linda Report 19 Jul 2023 12:58

Hello Gwyn
I’ve tried family I know they only had a very small wedding because mum was Irish and had to come to England to get married long story dads story even longer

I will try the on line sites and see what I come up with you have been very helpful thank you