Success Stories

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Found 'lost family' after almost 30 year search

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UmmMerlin

UmmMerlin Report 29 Aug 2020 14:47

Hello,

My mother was a war baby born 1944 and given away to a family to take care of. Time passed and she was eventually adopted by that family. Mum knew she was adopted and when her adopted mother passed away her father gave Mum various bits of information on her real family and so the search began . Thankfully her real family have an usual surname so it wasn't too difficult to carry out searches. We hit many brick walls along the way but with the advent of internet, it became much easier to overcome these obstacles. I was able to get copies of documents to start putting the jigsaw together and after a recent, huge breakthrough in February this year, I discovered members of Mum's real family. Unfortunately through my research I found that her real mother had died in the 1970s and indeed her father more recently but, she had two living sisters.

Sadly though, all this , for Mum, was in vain as Mum herself had passed in 1999 but, I had always vowed to find her family and obtain closure for her.

I tentatively reached out to one of the sister' daughters via Facebook and cutting a long story short, about a month later I was then in contact with my newly found cousins and aunts.

Mum was not a surprise to them - family skeletons and all that - they knew they had had a step-sister and went on to tell me the reasons why Mum was given away. We exchanged stories and photographs and finally, for me, I was able to see a photo of my grandmother - it was an extremely emotional, especially seeing the facial similarities.

Sadly, however, though maybe I was expecting too much, the conversation with my aunt dried up and despite her promises to send further information and photographs, these never materialised. It seems the novelty wore off and with a busy family life herself, no time to offer me.

So in a way it was a success but I'm now back to searching alone when I was kind of hoping my new family would be able to fill in various gaps in our family history. Ah well.. back to the genealogy websites!