Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

wrong place names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

john

john Report 2 Aug 2013 17:48

On searching for members of the legg family in the 1911 census I noticed that many of them are reported as residing in Brookley .
This I believe to be an error and should read Rookley or Brook both of which are villages on the Isle of Wight but there was never a Brookley to my knowledge

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Aug 2013 19:55

john

that is not GR's fault ............

.......... have you looked at the actual image of the 1911 Census??

You should ............... that would tell you what geographical name had been written by the head of the family.

IF it is not Brookley, then decipher it, and send a message to GR to report that the transcriber made an error, and give them the spelling as shown on the image.

But be aware, that GR did not transcribe the 1911 census themselves. The transcribed records they use were done for their sister site findmypast (FMP).

I understand that GR will forward the alternate names to FMP, and they will eventually show in the search

Also be aware that most sites do not change the transcriber's version, they show corrections as Alternate

sylvia

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Aug 2013 21:40

FMP do change the version they post on their site, if they agree with the corrections submitted

A response from them regarding one such submission...................

Thank you for reporting a transcription error.

We have reviewed the transcription changes that you have reported:

Record set: 1891 census
Census reference: RG12 Piece:15 Folio:106 Page:27

We have made the following change to the transcript:

Other names from 'Hodg' to '-'

We hope you continue to enjoy using findmypast.co.uk.

Thelma

Thelma Report 3 Aug 2013 12:22

View the 1911 image and you will understand the mistranscription.
Now find the family in earlier census to get their birth places.

First Name:GERTRUDE E
Last Name:LEGG
Birth Year:1875
Birth Town:ROOKLEY
Birth County:ISLE OF WIGHT

john

john Report 4 Aug 2013 17:51

I was not looking to blame anyone for this error but merely trying to be helpful to using this site who could be misled by the error I was born and raised on the Isle of wight so I knew it to be incorrect, but not everyone would know this and and could waste valuable time by ignoring Brookly because they were told Rookly.
After all for the uninformed there could be both as far as they know .
Just trying to be helpful is that such a bad thing

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Aug 2013 18:34

No it's not a bad thing John, but this board is for suggestions to GR admin, for improvements to the site.

Maybe a thread on the Genealogy chat board would be better perhaps listing some of the villages that migh be mistranscribed? I'm sure we have all found many such mistranscriptions, that have been recognised mainly because we know the area personally.

Googling 'villages and towns' in a specific county usually solves any confusion...but it may be that a thread where members can give their personal knowledge of an area, in your case the Isle of Wight, would be useful as it would come up in searches. :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Aug 2013 21:38

Trying to help is laudable, but this isn't really the right board...................

Here is GR's blurb about this board......................found under the board's title............

This board is for you to add your suggestions for changes you would like to see made to Genes Reunited. We will be unable to respond to each post individually, but we will be checking the suggestions regularly and taking your suggestions on board.

Giving helpful tips etc to other members would be better on Genealogy Chat