Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BOARD NAMES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Jun 2014 10:14

Please................as a matter of some importance...........revert to the system whereby duplicated board names are not allowed. When I joined Genes Connected, as it then was, one's board name had to be unique.

That stricture seems now to have been removed, and it can lead to confusion....at best.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 13 Jun 2014 12:32

Had not noticed.

I know when I joined I had to go through several different names until I came up with one that was not already in use.

Seems logical not to be able to have people with the same name. :-S

jax

jax Report 14 Jun 2014 18:25

If it is your birth name I don't suppose there is much they can do now

I changed my name not long after joining as there were far too many with the same name

jax

jax Report 15 Jun 2014 13:11

So back in 2003 didn't the board names come up as full names e.g 'John Smith'

So if there was already one John Smith did the others have to change their birth name?

Where are these duplicated board names? unless you mean the many John's, Patricia's, Christine's ect?

Graham

Graham Report 19 Jun 2014 15:44

They could add a number to their name. So you could have John1, John2, John3, etc.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Jul 2014 17:28

Apparently Board Names (Sitename in GR terminology) DO have to be unique. I have just tried to change mine to 'Jax' and it came up with the message

Sitename is already in use. Please choose another.

However, if a member has not set one up then the name that appears will be derived from whatever they entered as their own name which is not necessarily unique.

jax

jax Report 21 Jul 2014 18:28

As Reggie didn't reply to me and is no longer posting as far as I can see :-D

I don't know if it was the unique names or the birth names they were complaining about....oh well

Community Manager

Community Manager Advisor Report 8 Sep 2014 18:42

Hi all,

If you have any specifics for this issue, please PM me and I will take a look.

Regards

Shelley

jax

jax Report 8 Sep 2014 19:28

Bit late now, Reggie has gone....so I would'nt worry about it now Shelley :-D

Kense

Kense Report 9 Sep 2014 10:06

Well I think it would be good if board names were unique.

It could be implemented by appending the membership number to all current board names and then allowing members to change to their desired names (where available).

jax

jax Report 9 Sep 2014 14:56

You can join this site under any birth name you like even if it is not your real name as we have seen going by some of the names in the trees... Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck or a character out of Harry Potter ect...... As these are supposedly birth names they don't need to be changed when using the boards, which really they should be so people don't get confused with who is who.

my real name isn't Jax and to most people it's obvious I am really Jacqueline but why would I want to use that name when there are many others with the same name?

The other day I looked at a thread where two different jacquelines were posting on the same thread, neither had profile pictures, so the only way to tell them apart was to look at date of joining

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Sep 2014 17:50

.................. or their membership number

I saw that same thread, and found it most confusing at first!

jax

jax Report 9 Sep 2014 17:57

Very true Sylvia.... But if using a tablet as I am now, there is no way of telling what the membership number is..... If there is, I haven't found it yet :-D

Cancel that comment... Found it but not as easy to use as a pc

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Sep 2014 19:42

well .............. you do have a much smaller screen :-)

jax

jax Report 9 Sep 2014 21:41

The screen maybe smaller but its easier to make the text bigger :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Sep 2014 21:55

:-D :-D

jax

jax Report 9 Sep 2014 23:35

Will add the link just incase Shelley wants to take a look :-)

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1344071