Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sarah Ann George

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hannah

Hannah Report 4 Mar 2012 23:10

Hello,

I am just struggling to tally up records for Sarah Ann George.

This is her marriage record...

Marriage: 6 Aug 1864 St Peter, Blackburn, Lancashire, England
William Rostron - 20 weaver Bachelor of Mosley St.
Sarah Ann George - 22 domestic servant Spinster of 2 Frances St.
Groom's Father: John Rostron, engine tenter
Bride's Father: William George, miller & baker
Witness: William Eatough, (X); Alice Howarth
Married by Certificate by: C. W. Woodhouse
Register: Marriages 1862 - 1866, Page 193, Entry 385
Source: LDS Film 1849646

According to census records following her marriage she is from Ilkeston in Derbyshire.

The wedding places her birth year at 1842, and in her later census records she is around 1841.

However, looking at 1841 - 1861 censuses there are Sarah Georges but the ages skip around and I'm not sure I'm looking at the right ones. I know the ages were sometimes rounded off but, for example, I can't find her in an entry that makes sense for 1861.

In 1851 there is a "house servant" Sarah George but 1838 age. Plus her father William seems to have gone by then, which might explain why she was in another household?

With a lot of family from Lancashire, I have found the Lancashire BMD site extremely useful, but can't see the equivalent for Derbyshire if there is one.

Thanks
Hannah

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Mar 2012 23:40

Only in 1841 were ages rounded - down to the nearest 5, for the over-15's.

That doesn't however, exclude the possibility of inaccurate info in other years............ in those days, age wasn't the big deal that it is now

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Mar 2012 23:42

1911 for reference only

Name: Sarah Ann Rostron
Age in 1911: 72
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1839
Relation to Head: Wife
Birth Place: Ilkeston, Derbyshire, England
Civil parish: Blackburn
County/Island: Lancashire
Street Address: 23 Ribble St Blackburn
Marital Status: Married
Registration district: Blackburn
Registration District Number: 474
Sub-registration district: Blackburn Northern
ED, institution, or vessel: 09
Piece: 25035
Household Members: Name Age
William Rostron 66
Sarah Ann Rostron 72

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Mar 2012 23:45

In view of her age compared with her husband's in 1911, it may be that she was economical with the truth when they married

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Mar 2012 23:46

1841 perhaps

Name: Sarah George
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1838
Where born: Derbyshire, England

Civil parish: Ilkeston
Hundred: Morlestone and Litchurch
County/Island: Derbyshire

Registration district: Basford
Sub-registration district: Ilkeston
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 189
Book: 2
Folio: 7
Page Number: 8
Household Members: Name Age
Willm George 50
Mary George 15
Willem George 14
Ellen George 12
John George 9
Robert George 7
Thomas George 5
Sarah George 3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Mar 2012 05:04

The age on any census from 1851 onwards may be as much as 2 years out ....... it all depends on when the census was taken vs when the person was born.

The census asked for a person's age on census night.

The modern-day transcribers translate the age into birth year

........ for example, someone could be 20 on census night, but turned 21 the next day

.......... let's take the 1881 census as an example

the transcribers take age 20 as shown on the census, and say the person was born in 1861. But they were in fact born one year earlier, in 1860.

Then, as Reggie said, people weren't that concerned about age in those days.

and she could well have fibbed about her age if her husband was more than 2 years younger than she was :-D

sylvia

Derek

Derek Report 5 Mar 2012 09:31

Hello Hannah..my good friend SylviainCanada has pointed me towards your thread cos she knows that all things Derbyshire are my domain1

I have the Ilkeston derbyshire Parish records for St Mary's..and although I have yet to find Sarah ann George..i have found the marriage of her parents:-

WILLIAM GEORGE (Baker)..married SARAH NEEDHAM 28.11.1825.....Sarah Ann was apparently the youngest of several children......I tend to agree with the above 1841 contribution...........will look further
EDIT..there is a Civil registration of birth JFM 1838..at Basford..which included Ilkeston........and a Baptism for Ellen George daughter of William and Sarah born 24/07/1828 bptised 26/07/1829..
FURTHER EDIT.the 1841 census begins to look even more accurate..which is not common!!..because Sarah Ann could not have been born after 1840 because her mother died in 1839 or 1840..there are two separate Death registrations on BMd. for sarah George..one of which is almost certainly hers.
Derek

Derek

Derek Report 5 Mar 2012 10:43

William George appears to have died JFM 1859.........

derek

Hannah

Hannah Report 5 Mar 2012 19:26

Reggie, Sylvia and Derek,
Many thanks for your help! That all makes sense and ties in with the census records I'd found. The only missing link from that would be where father William is in 1851...? I'm not seeing an obvious one on this site.

Thanks

Hannah

Hannah Report 5 Mar 2012 20:24

Just looking through Sarah's siblings and in 1851 the boys at least have all gone to be servants in other homes too, Ellen is a lodger, etc. Just no sign of William..

Hannah

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Mar 2012 20:46

Thanks, Derek!!

I knew you could help :-D