Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Abuse Team - messages to members

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 3 Jan 2012 18:47

When you send messages to members warning them of their conduct on this site - apparently in breach of the Terms and Conditions - would you do the decent thing and explain properly what they have done wrong. At least forward them a copy of what they have been reported for.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 3 Jan 2012 19:36

I agree with GlitterBaby. I am absolutely appalled at the messages received today by certain members of this site. They are completely baffled as to what they have done wrong and are very hurt by these messages. Come clean, GR, and let us know what is going on.

jax

jax Report 3 Jan 2012 19:39

I agree GB

Had I not seen my RR'd post before I went to bed at 6 am ish, when I finally looked at my emails in a week or so time, I would have wondered why GR were going to chuck me off this site if I misbehaved again :-D

I am still gobsmacked how my comment was against the T&Cs anyway

jax

Rambling

Rambling Report 3 Jan 2012 19:47

I've sent a message to support asking them to make an announcement on whether it is now absolutely NOT permitted to mention Ancestry or any other third party genealogy site. on the boards.

I assume this is the clause:

"You also agree not to advertise or promote third parties' or your own goods or services including by way of the distribution of "spam" email. In particular, you agree not to use the Genes Reunited Service to provide links to third party websites."

So if mentioning a third party genealogy website ( which imo is neither "advertising" or "promoting" per se ) is now not allowed, what is the point of the boards? None...because helpers will be confined to only informing of what records can be found on GR and presumably fmp....

(also begs the question, why then are the guidelines on FLR board directing members to "third party sites" ...not to mention all the 'follow us on Twitter tosh) .

If a site, any site, is so afraid of it's perceived 'competitors' that they can't be mentioned, then it's already doomed. If the competitor is not 'better' then there's nothing to fear is there?!

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 3 Jan 2012 19:48

Only posted this because I was disgusted to read that members had received such emails without proper explanations

Treat your members with a little bit more respect and some of them may decide to stay.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Jan 2012 20:29

I'm disgusted to hear this

What about all those sites and records that GR do NOT have?

I'm thinking of the OPC sites, the Blacksmiths Index of the UK, Curious Fox, Castle Gardens (US Immigration, 1832-1892), etc etc etc.

all those weird and wonderful sites that many of us pick up as we do our own research.

What about the fact that people have been having difficulty getting results from GR's records?

Not to mention record sites from overseas, such as the Australian and NZ immigration, censuses, etc etc.

A ban such as this makes the boards useless.

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Jan 2012 20:51

I am appalled at what I have just read on this thread, and elsewhere.

Yes, it does say in GR's T&C's that GR does not allow the advertising of web addresses or copy and paste material from other sites.

but they have so far adopted a laissez faire policy ...... which has actually been to their advantage as so many of us have stayed with GR ONLY because of the help we can give on these boards.

I am absolutely appalled to read the pm that they sent to jax, and presumably the same letter was also sent to the other people.

That was the very worst example of corporate policy being handed to an underling

......... rude, ungrammatical, and non-informative.

I firmly believe that GR needs to re-think how people are informed of why a post or thread has been RR'd

Unfortunately, my sub is good until June ....... I wish it was up sooner!

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Jan 2012 20:54

PHIL

you have to know that GR now has some very seriously upset and angry members

and many of them will not be around for very much longer!

Although ................. it does seem that GR is still on holidays!

WHY no response to any postings on here or (heaven forfend) FB, other than garbage?

January 3 is a full day back at work here! :-D

sylvia

Joy

Joy Report 3 Jan 2012 21:04

I am utterly appalled at the messages sent by genes reunited to members that have been reported.

To me, this emphasises the need for genes reunited to change its mind about having the site moderated properly.

JerryH

JerryH Report 3 Jan 2012 21:07

Agreed with all above.

I think I have made my feelings obvious on the other post.

Am reminded of a Christmas Movie "Miracle on 34th Street"

As I recall, a Department Store gained business when it's Santa started giving impartial advice on where toys could be bought more cheaply

The analogy to the impartial advice offered on the Message Boards is striking and a refusal to allow other sites to be mentioned in future, will, I am sure result in a loss of business..

It seems to me that there can be many shades of Grey between Black and White, but if Genes want to take a paranoid attitude, then the Message Boards are doomed.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 3 Jan 2012 21:18

How on earth are we meant to do a full and accurate (as far as possible) tree using only 1 site, this one!!!!

When someone comes up with a query that we know cannot be answered either by a member on here or any of their 'own' records, it is obvious that you will have to direct that person to the appropriate site where the sought after information is kept.

Does GR not want us to enjoy our research and in trying to restrict us to only 1 site and never mentioning another on here is ridiculous

Oh well here goes

Ancestry Find My Past (no probs here!!) Rootschat CWGC Army Records FreeBMD GenUKI Curious Fox

Well thats just a few to start with!!! ;-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Jan 2012 21:34

and a few more ....................

familysearch

lancsopc

Blacksmiths Index

Castle Gardens

Ellis island

trove

UKBMD

National Archives of Australia

Old Bailey Online

;-) ;-)

Joy

Joy Report 3 Jan 2012 21:37

Quoting other sites cannot be considered offensive surely? otherwise Phil Moir would not have kindly stated that he intended to merge all useful sites threads.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 3 Jan 2012 21:43

Because of this, for the first time I am considering leaving the site after almost 8 years and almost 17, 000 messages.

GR, please explain yourselves.

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 3 Jan 2012 22:06

I'm a bit perplexed GR especially as most of the sites listed by Sylvia are free to use, and thereby cause no loss of funds to GR.

Is there no difference between menetioning a site and the active promotion of one in which people are encouraged to go to?

I would have thought so?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Jan 2012 22:12

The only post that I saw last night that might just possibly have merited removal was actually the one by BMW in which he was promoting his own new website ........ for photo sharing. But he'd set that up as a free site!

All the others were postings that mentioned other sites, including on one thread where someone asked about joining ancestry vs fmp. 'Nowt unusual that ....... it's a question that is asked several times a week!

And there was nothing unusual about any of the other postings, either ........ or at least, not so far as I saw, or could see.

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Jan 2012 22:13

Grace

I think PP and I were just being mischievous there!!

One of the sites that resulted in RR'ing was a mention of freebmd.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 3 Jan 2012 22:24

Well said all. Thanks for the thread GB.

Phil/Estelle/Team.......we are not happy members.

:-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

Kense

Kense Report 3 Jan 2012 22:42

Thank you for making the suggestion GlitterBaby. I had three messages from GR about removal of my posts but no explanation as to what they were. I don't intend posting again until I get some clarification from them.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 3 Jan 2012 23:03

Not really my idea for this thread but was so annoyed at the treatment dished out to some members that I had to post something.

GR are not doing themselves any favours at the moment. They seem incapable of sorting out the many problems on this site which is upsetting the members and now this treatment.

It is the members, especially those who help with requests, that make this site what it is and what seems to have been forgotten by the GR Team.

Carry on kicking the members up the A*** and see how much longer they will put up with it before leaving.