Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Workhouse registers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joan

Joan Report 5 May 2015 19:03

My grandmother had a child in 1914 I understand they were sent to a workhouse .the baby girl was born in Leeds but the family lived in Harrogate . How do I find out where they were sent ? I cannot find any trace on the census so they were defiantly not living with the rest of the family .

Mike *

Mike * Report 5 May 2015 19:18

There hasn't been a census published since 1911 so a child born 1914 won't feature.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 5 May 2015 19:30

The child's birth certificate will give the place of birth. Remember that workhouses had hospitals and many poorer women went to the hospital section of the workhouse to give birth and then returned home.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 May 2015 21:35

This is where the records for Leeds Workhouse are kept (acording to the workhouses website). There doesn't seem to be many records that have survived but you might find something:-

West Yorkshire Archive Service — Leeds, Nepshaw Lane South, Morley, Leeds LS27 7JQ .

Holdings include: Guardians' Minutes (1844-1930); Admissions and discharges (1843-7); Adoptions register (1895-1948); Bastardy register (1844-1930); etc.

Kath. x

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 6 May 2015 13:21

Welcome to the Community boards Joan.

(I'll let Joan know how to find her replies) :-)

Mike *

Mike * Report 6 May 2015 14:10

Cynthia to the rescue :-)
Doing a great job there !

Joan

Joan Report 6 May 2015 18:13

Thank you too all who replied Kathleen will try contacting the address you have given me .