Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TIP: Locating London's Past

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 7 Feb 2013 09:20

This website allows you to search a wide body of digital resources relating to early modern and eighteenth-century London, and to map the results on to a fully GIS compliant version of John Rocque's 1746 map.

http://www.locatinglondon.org/index.html

K

K Report 7 Feb 2013 12:43

Thanks

Kay

Petef

Petef Report 8 Feb 2013 13:11

Most interesting, thank you.

Peter

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 9 Feb 2013 20:43

Just looked at it, it's great!
Thanks.

Christine

Christine Report 13 Feb 2013 22:29

Very interesting website, thank you.

In case anyone is interested, I bought a book for my brother for Christmas, called
Lost London. It's quite a big book, consisting of old photos of streets and buildings in London that have since been demolished. I bought it simply because I knew he would like it, but what I didn't realise was that the street shown on the cover illustration was one where one of our family connections lived - as per the censuses.

He had researched it for a direct descendant of the family in Canada and been to photograph the area as it is today, for her.

There are so many photos in the book, anyone with a London family has a good chance of finding their location. Amazon have the book from £20, but I'm sure libraries would have a copy.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 13 Feb 2013 22:42

Thank you, Paul. And yes, Christine, that is a brilliant book.