Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

missing family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 7 Mar 2014 21:21

I am new to this and have hit a brick wall! I have found my paternal great grandparents in the 1891 cansus; found the death of my great grandfather in 1900 and the birth of my grandmother in 1899. I then found my grandmother and my great grandmother in the 1901 census but their whole household seems to have completely disappeared in the 1911 census - cannot find any of the family anywhere apart from one great uncle who had joined the navy. I have looked for a death certificate for my great grandmother to no avail and I know my grandmother survived! I have found her marriage (1916) and death (1950) and the births of her children but I would really like to know where she was in 1911; any advice would be gratefully received.

alviegal

alviegal Report 7 Mar 2014 21:34

If you post some names, years and places of birth we may be able to help.

EDIT Welcome to the boards Sandra.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 7 Mar 2014 21:42

If you have a reasonably uncommon name to use, have you tried looking using just first name, birthplace and birth year, then looking at all the results? I know it sounds a bit mad, but if a mis-transcription has occurred it might show up.
It's not impossible too that your great-grandmother re-married, or was living with a man and using his name.
Jan

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Mar 2014 22:31

Without names and location, helping you is not really possible, much as we'd like to...............

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 8 Mar 2014 13:01

I'l let Sandra know that she has replies to her query... :-)

Sandra

Sandra Report 8 Mar 2014 16:14

My Grandparents were Fred and May Gladys Elizabeth Goodbody. May's maiden name was Richards and she was born in Portsea in 1899. They married in 1916. May's parents were John William Richards and Harriet Richards nee Barnes; he died shortly after Mays birth. In 1901 Harriet and May were living in Portsea along with visitors - Charles Amey and his son and a lodger Walter Grimes. I have checked and double checked these names but there is no sign of Harriet or May. many thanks for all the responses.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 8 Mar 2014 16:39

For ref

1901 England Census about May G E Richards
Name: May G E Richards
Estimated birth year: abt 1899
Relation to Head: Daughter
Mother: Harriett Richards
Birth Place: Portsmouth, Hampshire, England
Civil Parish: Portsmouth
Ecclesiastical parish: St Barnabas and St Mary
County/Island: Hampshire
Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

View image
Registration district: Portsmouth
Sub-registration district: Portsea and Landport
ED, institution, or vessel: 40
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 998
Folio: 88
Page Number: 29
Household schedule number: 180
Household Members:
Name Age
Harriett Richards 48
Alfred J Richards 17
Sydney C Richards 11
Ethel I Richards 9
May G E Richards 2
Walter Goumas 26
Charles Amey 67
Albert Amey 22

Sandra

Sandra Report 8 Mar 2014 17:15

Thank you Mel Fairy Godmother and yes I had found this info but I cannot trace the family in 1911; mind you I had Walter Goumas down as Walter Grimes so I will look for him again.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 8 Mar 2014 18:21

Harriett married the lodger.

Marriages Mar 1916
Grimes Walter T Richards Portsmouth 2b 1039
Richards Harriet Grimes Portsmouth 2b 1039

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 8 Mar 2014 18:21

Deaths Dec 1929
Grimes Harriett 76 Portsmouth 2b 638

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 8 Mar 2014 18:32

There are there in 1911. Walter is listed as Walter Crimes. Harriet transcribed as HOMELT and May as GLADS.

Rose

Sandra

Sandra Report 8 Mar 2014 20:00

Many many thanks Rose - mystery solved