Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Duplicate entry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ronald

Ronald Report 18 Mar 2014 12:49

I have somehow managed to have a duplicate entry in my tree. ie the same line of children shows two identical entries. Each one is correctly linked to a common husband. Each one has the parents correctly named. The siblings are correctly listed.
However, the descendants of each differ [one continues a lot further than the other]

Is there any way I can amalgamate the two ? When I try to delete either one it advises me against doing so [ both have parents and children and to delete will fragment tree]

Can anyone help please.

Thanks,

Ron

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Mar 2014 13:06

Not sure I understand what you mean, Ronald - do you mean that two siblings married the same husband?

Or that one person appears twice, with husband and descendants?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Mar 2014 13:11

If two women married the same man, of course their children will be different

But you must have input the details (no-one else can do it) - so what do you think you have done wrong?

What do you mean by 'siblings'?

Whose siblings?

..............the man's - or those of his wives?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Mar 2014 14:10

" . . . the descendants of each differ [one continues a lot further than the other"

Does that mean the descendants are different people, or just that you have entered more descendants on one list than on the other?

Potty

Potty Report 18 Mar 2014 14:57

In my tree I have a woman who married twice, to two brothers, she is shown twice in tree view, as the spouse of each of the brothers. Is yours a similar situation? I don't think there is a way this can be avoided, because of the way the software works. This tree is not on here.

Kense

Kense Report 18 Mar 2014 16:49

You can avoid that situation Potty. Instead of creating a duplicate of the woman who appear twice (which you had to do with the old tree) you add an existing person.

In your case you select the second brother, click on Add, then on Spouse, and then Find Existing and start typing the appropriate name in the box that appears. The possible names should appear and you select the one you want.

Ronald

Ronald Report 18 Mar 2014 19:19

I have not explained myself very well but reading above threads I can put it better -

ArgyllGran - Yes The female descendant appears twice once with Husband and once with descendants. I entered information against each on different occasions.The information I input against one contains numerous branches while
the other has only a few entries. Ideally I should like to remove the latter. I hope this makes things clearer. How do I remove the female with the few entries?

Ronald

Ronald Report 18 Mar 2014 20:19

Thanks folks - I have managed to remove the duplicate entry - I am a happy chap again.!