Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Inquests

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 9 Apr 2014 16:49

Does anyone know if I can obtain coroners reports/inquest reports? Bob

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Apr 2014 18:01

Google.......................

.......................although I would very much doubt it, other than any which warranted inclusion in newspapers

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 9 Apr 2014 18:24

They were often reported in the local papers, for most of the country, the papers are kept in the main library, rather than the records office . Try googling for the library nearest to the place the death took place to see what they hold

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 9 Apr 2014 20:15

Thanks for the advice. I will delve deeper. Bob

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 9 Apr 2014 22:27

Bob, depending on when/where the event happened, could look in the newspaper archives if you care to give details.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 10 Apr 2014 14:14

Inquests, murder and other crimes were the meat and veg for many local papers way back.

A word of advice though, do not fret if you do not find a record locally.

A relative of mine committed suicide in Holborn and it was reported only in some Scottish papers, which I found very odd. It was him and it even mentioned members of the family.

And most inquests were held within days of the death

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 10 Apr 2014 18:35

Too recent and too close to home to put details on the board. Bob

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 10 Apr 2014 19:55

Apparently Coroners have the legal right to discard their records after just 15 years! & those of a deceased Coroner can also end up the same way.
And from what I have read (via Family History mags) those that do survive have a long closure on them,something like 75 yrs,not sure why really because many inquests were reported in local newspapers,albeit watered down a little!

I am not able to access the Coroners records of my sisters Inquest,her death occured in 1988, way past the 15 yrs now & obviously IF they were to survive 75 yrs I will not be around to view them!

Thankfully I was able to read the newspaper report.

Joan.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 11 Apr 2014 11:53

From the LMA website....

'Before 2005 records of coroners’ inquests were closed to public consultation for a
period of 75 years from the date of their creation, by order of the Lord Chancellor
under the provision of the Public Records Act of 1958.
Since the Freedom of Information Act came into force on 1 January 2005 coroners’ records held on deposit at LMA are now available for public consultation with the exception of records which are less than 30 years old which remain closed under section 32 of the Freedom of Information Act under which court records are closed to public access for 30 years.
However, coroners’ inquests from after 1968 are held by LMA on behalf of the
respective coroners who retain indexes and other finding aids to the records.
Applications for access to these records must therefore be addressed in the first
instance to the appropriate coroner.'

So I would suggest the information holds true for other areas of the Country.

Maybe this information would be of use to you Joan.

Chris

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 11 Apr 2014 20:03

Thanks all. I will close this post now. Bob