Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

obtain marriage certificate from marriage index

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

greg

greg Report 10 Sep 2014 12:57

Hi,

I am relatively knew to this.

I have got back to a wedding in 1887 and have managed to locate a record in FreeBMD Marriage Index, 1837-1915 from Ancestry.co.uk.

This however only gives the females name and a reference to a volume and page number. There is an option to purchase the full record, however at £22 its a bit expensive.

I was was wondering if there is a way to simply view the record online. I want to establish names of parents etc.

The details are

Sarah Black - Thomas Kavanagh - Cumberland - 1887 - vol 10b Page 717.

Any help would be appreciated

Gai

Gai Report 10 Sep 2014 13:17

Hi Greg,

The site to purchase certificates from is the GRO website where the Certificates cost £9.25 including postage. All you will need is the volume and page number which you have from Freebmd.

There is the link on the home page to order certificates on line.

www.gro.gov.uk

Regards
Gai

greg

greg Report 10 Sep 2014 13:20

thanks,

that's a bit better

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 10 Sep 2014 14:06

The freebmd site is at

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Much easier to use than Ancestry, in my opinion

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 10 Sep 2014 14:11

Greg,
The marriage cert should give you the fathers names of both the bride and the groom, but not their mothers names :-)

P.S. I too find freebmd much easier to use ;-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Sep 2014 15:20

The cost of £9.25p per certificate from the GRO is the cheapest you can buy a certificate for.

Family history is not a cheap hobby unfortunately.

On the marriage you mention in 1887 Findmypast has the bride's name as Margaret Black and not Sarah Black

Kath. x

greg

greg Report 10 Sep 2014 15:45

Thats great just had a look at freebmd and it appears as if its going to be very usefull.

Just wish I had found it yesterday. (only just signed up to ancestry.co.uk)

Most of my family come from Scotland and I have been able to get most information so far from Scotlandspeople.gov.uk .

I have managed to get quite far without purchasing any certificates, so guess I cant complain.

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 10 Sep 2014 16:10

Don't worry, Greg, Ancestry is still incredibly useful :-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 10 Sep 2014 16:45

Another useful piece of information on all marriage certificates are the Witnesses.

I have found many a married sister, who I had been looking for for years this way.

jax

jax Report 10 Sep 2014 18:19

Like you I was'nt born knowing all this info about Freebmd and GRO and the 1st cert I bought 4 years ago cost me £20 from Ancestry

It was just a hand written copy so no signatures of my grandparents

I have since got a copy from the parish registers with their handwriting for a fiver.....well I got 4 for £5 actually ....this was from Seax (Essex records) 24 hr subscription

It is worth asking on here before you purchase, just incase someone can direct you somewhere where you can get the details for free or for a smaller amount

edit- and of course Ancestry has a lot of different areas where you can see the images of marriages or just the transcriptions