Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Using freeBMD to locate place of marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 7 Oct 2014 19:37

I was at a family history fair recently when someone suggested it was possible to get a line which parish a couple had married in from the info available on free BMD. They tried to explain the process, but the notes I made at the time don't now make sense when I go onto free BMD. Can anyone out there fill me in on how this works - assuming it actually does?

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 7 Oct 2014 20:03

Is this what you mean....

http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/

But I know it is not complete....Yet!

Chris

Julie

Julie Report 7 Oct 2014 20:10

Thanks Chris, this may help, although it isn't what the person I spoke to referred to. I will have to give it a go & see if the areas I am interested in are covered.

Kense

Kense Report 7 Oct 2014 22:27

In freeBMD go to Information.
Then Districts Statistics
Scroll down to Page Ranges

Bly clicking on one of the 'here's you can find out the range of pages used for the given district. in the given quarter and year.

Compare that to see where the page number you are interested in fits into that range.

If near the start of the range it is probably a parish starting with a letter near the front of the alphabet.

It doesn't tell you which parish but does enable you to reduce the number you are looking at if you are searching the parishes at a record office

The parishes associated with a district are also listed in freeBMD.

Note that parishes beginning Great, Little, North etc may be listed with the prefix word second i.e. Bromley Great, Bromley Little etc.

Julie

Julie Report 7 Oct 2014 22:53

Many thanks, this is just the explanation I was seeking and makes perfect sense.

mgnv

mgnv Report 8 Oct 2014 06:23

The last "parish" is usually the registrar's own register, containing rego office marrs and non-conformist marrs that the registrar had to attend as nearly all non-conformists were not authorized pre-1899 to maintain an official register (RCs not authorized until the 1980s I think).

The alphabetical system does not extend to the subdistrict names used in B & D rego's. I've found the order there usually matches the order of piece # assignments used in the census post-1841.