Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Imprisonment

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vena

Vena Report 10 Oct 2014 20:25

Hi my 4 th great grandad, named George shaw from Ilkeston in derbyshire, dob 1776
Was imprisoned in the 1800s for larceny, how can I find what he had stolen, or the actual crime, help much appreciated

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Oct 2014 21:06

I don't think it's possible to find out exactly what he stole unless you can find a report of the crime in a local newspaper of the time. Larceny is the theft of personal property.

Kath. x

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 10 Oct 2014 21:33

I have done a search of the newspaper records on FMP betweenn 1800-1849. The only one I can find is this one:

In the Derby Mercury on 8th April 1829 it states a George Shaw was committed to the Borough gaol for stealing two strikes of potatoes, the property of Edward Hopkinson.

Chris

alviegal

alviegal Report 10 Oct 2014 21:59

That appears to be this one Chris. He got 3 months for larceny.
Not sure how you can be sure this is your ancestor though?

England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892 about George Shaw
Name: George Shaw
Date of Trial: Apr 1829
Trial Year: 1829
Location of Trial: Derbyshire, England
Sentence: Imprisonment

Vena

Vena Report 10 Oct 2014 22:12

Thankyou so much x all of you