Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption access to record

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 6 Nov 2014 22:25

Hi a friend of mine recently found out that she had a sister who had been adopted as a baby. She has been in touch with a social worker and sadly her sister had died in the 70s. She had been married twice and it is possible she had children from one of the marriages. My friend paid for a death certicate to be obtained via the social worker, but she was not allowed to see it as it contained her sisters married name and husbands name as being present at the death. Do you know the legalities of this situation, as I feel my friend should have been given access to the death certificate she had paid for and be able to carry out further research on her own. She would dearly love to know if her sister had children if only to find out a little more about the sister she never met. What are your thoughts? Many thanks

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Nov 2014 23:10

She should go back the social worker as the rules changed on 31 Oct this year
http://tiny.cc/5iexox - links to a .gov.uk page

At the very least she should ask the Social Worker to contact the family on her behalf, or to ask for a letter to be passed on.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 7 Nov 2014 17:24

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/relatives-of-adopted-adults-now-able-to-trace-family-tree

Read the from the link above Kathleen to get details that may help your friend and she can further her search,costs will incure and could be a lenghtly process,and there is a cut off point as in time span.

Regards the other matter--its all entered into on a none disclosure case and should have been made clear from the onset,so the certificate information wont be disclosed......its not the SW job to engage further or contact the remaing family as the persons adoption may not have been known.

Who found the death?

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 7 Nov 2014 22:43

Hi - thanks for the information - I will pass the details on to my friend. It was the social worker who found the death - she said it was common surname so would be hard to trace the husband.