Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can I Import A Tree From Another Site

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 22 Nov 2014 09:25

I have an extensive tree on another site, is there anyway I can load it here?

Sylvia

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Nov 2014 09:33

There is .i believe you create a gedcom file and then import that. It will override what you already have on here though not add to it

Inky1

Inky1 Report 22 Nov 2014 09:59

Click 'Family Tree' then click Import GEDCOM in the drop-down box - and read it all.
Type gedcom into Quick Search, and you will get many hits. Much useful information to be found.
Here is one:-

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1220351

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 22 Nov 2014 10:24

How do I create a gedcom of my tree at Family Echo??? I am not very technical.

Sylvia

Inky1

Inky1 Report 22 Nov 2014 11:35

There must be a button somewhere to action a gedcom download to your pc. Suggest that you click Send Feedback, and ask the website folk.

Company

Family Echo is provided by Familiality Ltd., a private company founded by Gideon Greenspan and based in Tel Aviv. We can be contacted via the feedback form or at our address below:

Familiality Ltd.
Zamenhof 3
Tel Aviv
T.D. 11887
Israel

Not having used the Family Echo website I cannot advise further. But perhaps another member could?

Download Policy
1.Independence. A primary goal of Family Echo is to help you pass on your family information to future generations. We make it easy for you to store this information independently of www.familyecho.com.
2.Ease of use. Family Echo makes it easy for you to store and read your family information on your own computer by downloading standard formats such as Plain Text and Dynamic HTML.
3.Integration. Family Echo makes it easy for you to import your family information into other software by exporting computer-readable formats such as CSV, GEDCOM and FamilyScript.

In short, Family Echo aims to give you and your family maximum possible control.

Kense

Kense Report 22 Nov 2014 11:45

Be aware that a GEDCOM file produced by one program will not always produce an identical tree when read by another.

That isn't as bad as it sounds as most of the tree will be fine but be prepared for the odd discrepancy.

Have a look at this thread
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/724270

Kense

Kense Report 22 Nov 2014 12:06

I would suggest keeping your original tree as the master and uploading a GEDCOM to another site occasionally. Maintaining two trees separately can be a nightmare.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 22 Nov 2014 12:39

Thanks for all your input but it looks too difficult for me!

Sylvia

Kense

Kense Report 22 Nov 2014 13:52

It isn't difficult to do.

I don't know Family Echo but I wouldn't expect it to take more than a couple of clicks to produce.

Having produced a GEDCOM you import it into Genes by clicking on Family Tree, then on Import GEDCOM and specifying where you have stored it.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 22 Nov 2014 19:04

Probably not for the faint hearted:-

I set up a Family Echo account (necessary to save data) and imported a small gedcom. Then saved the tree.

When looking at the tree, the EXPORT button on my screen is in the bottom left-hand corner.
- Click that and a gedcom is produced.
- Caption appears asking if you want to open or save.
- Click save. For me, it saved the .GED to \Downloads\ directory.
- You can leave it there (?) or cut/copy it to some other directory. You will see below where I put my file.

My main tree is on GR, so I could not test an import without setting up a new account. (maybe some other time.) So I uploaded the GED to PAF5 on my hard drive. This was the upload message – with only the first of the 12 errors listed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GEDCOM Import Log - 22 Nov 2014
File: C:\Users\Inky1\Documents\Family History\FH General\Gedcom file exported\My-Family-22-Nov-2014.GED (22 NOV 2014)
Created by: Family Echo
Submitted by: Unknown
Individuals: 25
Marriages: 12
Sources: 0
Repositories: 0
Errors: 12

The following lines in the GEDCOM file could not be processed due to unrecognizable tags or invalid data:

ERROR 1: My-Family-22-Nov-2014.GED, line 263: MRIN 1: Unexpected tag '_CURRENT' in Family Record. 1 _CURRENT Y
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On inspection of the GED file these tags were listed against the 12 marriages. However, the actual data records for 25 births, 12 marriages and a few deaths were all imported. If the GED output by Family Echo can be accepted by PAF5, I presume it can be accepted by GR.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 23 Nov 2014 01:27

Thanks for all the info. If I play around in Family Echo and try to create a gedcom file will it damage my tree in any way at Family Echo, as I want to keep all that information at Family Echo, it has been a long process to get all that info.

Sylvia

Inky1

Inky1 Report 23 Nov 2014 10:18

Sylvia,

Play around?????????
But, for someone unfamiliar with doing this sort of thing, I did miss a step:-

EXPORT Click the little box that displays “Download/export this family”

MISSED STEP – Then you get the following list to choose from:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dynamic HTML
For browsing from disk, adding to your website, or long term archiving. Includes a read only Family Echo interface.
To protect your privacy, this format does not include phone numbers, addresses and emails.

GEDCOM - Details...
Standard format for genealogical data. For importing into many genealogy programs.

FamilyScript - Details...
Native format for Family Echo. For importing into programs which support it.

CSV (Comma-separated) - Details...
For importing into spreadsheets or databases e.g. Excel, Access, FileMaker.

Plain Text
For viewing in word processors such as NotePad and Word, or sending in email.

Click the second box (GEDCOM), then click Download (at the bottom of the list).

This is simply a way of getting your tree data into some other format. Consider it as a sort of “copy & paste” process. It in no way affects the online tree.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 23 Nov 2014 10:30

I did download my tree from Family Echo, it was just a couple of clicks, nervous as I was the tree arrived, not with all of the info but I can add to that when I have time.

Thanks so much.

I am researching the surnames, Richardson, Baker, Patience and Dahl.

Sylvia

Inky1

Inky1 Report 23 Nov 2014 10:50

Sylvia,

You state "not with all of the info ". What do you mean by that?

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 23 Nov 2014 12:11

It did not have details of my brother and his wife, children, but it did have info of relatives back to 1629!