Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Access to family tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JohnJ

JohnJ Report 22 Dec 2014 08:39

What is the danger - perceived or actual - is permitting another member open access to my tree. This I ask since other members seem to prefer to hide details of all living relatives - why would they want to do this?
Seasonal greetings - John

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Dec 2014 11:15

Although its unlikely to happen, those of us who do that are trying to protect their privacy and guard against identity fraud. Neither do we want someone to track us down in the 'real' world.
If someone had added the full dob, then all the details are there to, handed on a plate. Many of the younger generation publicise their lives on social media. That doesn't mean that we should do the same.

One should also bear in mind that the names of living people should not be added without their permission. We may think that a second cousin once removed ought to have died, but can't find a record. By using the Privacy option, we are attempting to protect them on the off chance they are a centenarian.

Unless one further disguises ones entries by calling close rellies living-living and fudging the yob, even hidden names come up on a search.

If you want to have further details of those hidden relatives, then ask the tree owner.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 22 Dec 2014 13:05

It may not be merely a case of 'wanting' to hide living relatives, it could be that they are actually abiding by the rules of site, which clearly state that no living relatives' details may be added without the permission of each of them.

Most of us would hesitate to give open access to any parts of our tree unless the person to whom they were being given could demonstrate a clear connection, and that they weren't simply on a 'fishing trip'

Bear in mind that although someone living may have given you permission to include them in YOUR tree, that permission DOES NOT extend to anyone else's tree.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Dec 2014 17:03

There is also the emotional aspect:
Finding details of potentially quite close relatives displayed for all to see - just because you have the same surname.
Finding many generations of one side of your family being displayed by someone who is related to your other side but that relationship is 'so complicated' that they won't tell you what it is AND you can't find that connection yourself.
Finding your OWN details displayed by a person who is a 15th or so cousin.

Once a connection is made I think most people are happy to divulge details. Having said that I once would not pass on living details of the elderly women in my tree so that they would not be confused by anyone trying to make contact - only with their actual permission did I pass any of that info. Each one had lived in their own home for a long time and would have been easily found in telephone directories etc. This refusal was due to someone turning up unannounced on a doorstep, unnerving the lady involved - especially as they managed to worm their way in - and it wasn't even her they wanted but her exhusbands family!

JohnJ

JohnJ Report 22 Dec 2014 18:26

Many, many thanks to one and all - I had not considered the matter of identy fraud or ... I have to say, ..... revealing relative's details without their permission ... altho - if I can find the details of far distant living relatives ,,... then so can anyone else with a wish to so do

Thanks once again to you all

Seasonal greetings

John

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 23 Dec 2014 05:50

Like it or otherwise, your 'identity' is no longer private these day, just put your name in google - you might be surprised or indeed shocked what comes up.

Whilst fraud where someone pretends to take on the persona of another by obtaining false documents such as birth certs, passports etc can happen, it is relatively rare, simply because it involves too much effort. Most identity fraud occurs because the fraudster gets a hold of your bank or card details and proceeds to help themselves to your hard earned.

By all means be cautious, but don't get paranoid. Do what you feel comfortable with.