Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where a person lived..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara Ann in Somerset

Barbara Ann in Somerset Report 15 Jan 2015 09:58

Good Morning , can some one tell me if its possible to find out were a person lived it would be the year 1929 ... thankyou

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jan 2015 10:44

Some ER are online on the Ancestry website and are searchable by name.

Failing that, individual ER have to be poured through by hand as they are listed by address. If you've no idea where in the country the person was its virtually impossible.

A birth, death or marriage certificate would give the normal residential address if you know something occurred in that year.

If you could indicate what and/or where you're trying to find info, we might be able to be be more specific.

Barbara Ann in Somerset

Barbara Ann in Somerset Report 15 Jan 2015 11:18

Thankyou for that , i know that in 1930 this person was at Ringwood which was Hampshire now Dorset , I would like to know were they were before...

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jan 2015 11:45

Additional info by PM

"This person worked as housekeeper for Joseph Chamberlain brother of Neville Chamberlain i believe thats were she was in 1929 but dont know where he lived"

Sooo... what can Team GR find out about Joseph Chamberlain??

Barbara Ann in Somerset

Barbara Ann in Somerset Report 15 Jan 2015 12:04

thank you DetEcTive any news would be valuable to me ....

The persons name is Edith Maud Cummins (deceased)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jan 2015 12:09

According to various trees on Ancestry

Joseph Austen Chamberlain
Birth October 1863 in Edgbaston, Warwickshire, England
Death 16 Mar 1937 in London, England

Marriage to Ivy Muriel Dundas
1906 Jul Age: 42
St George Hanover Square, London

His entry on the Probate Calendar isn’t much help
Of 24 Egerton Terraace, Kensington London SW3.

This might give a clue, although there is no guarantee that the Chamberlains lived here in 1929.

Name: Ivy Muriel Chamberlain
Probate Date: 17 Apr 1941
Death Date: 13 Feb 1941
Death Place: Hampshire, England
Registry: Llandudno
Cancel

Chamberlain, G.B.E Ivy Muriel of >>>Blackbridge House, Beaulieu, Hampshire<<< widow,

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jan 2015 12:18

If you're wiling to pay the fee, Hampshire Archives might be the best people to ask.

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/archives/enquiries-hals.htm

They may have details of Joseph's residence in the county, or at the least be able to look up the address in the 1929 ER to see if the Chamberlains were living there.

I'm having difficulty finding a Public Library close by who might also hold the ER (and be cheaper). Any ideas??

Barbara Ann in Somerset

Barbara Ann in Somerset Report 15 Jan 2015 12:29

Hi that Joseph is the Father ... the one i am interested in is Austin Joseph Chamberlain... known as Joseph... sorry should have said this before ...

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jan 2015 12:41

The father was Joseph Chamberlain (8 July 1836 – 2 July 1914)

The one who died 16 Mar 1937 in London, England had Neville Chamberlain as his executor. He was born in 1863 in Edgbaston and married Ivy Muriel Dundas

Added - I'm confused. You are interested in 1929. Joseph the father died 1914.

Birth of his son
Name: Joseph Austen Chamberlain
Registration Year: 1863
Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration district: King's Norton
(covers Edgbaston)
Inferred County: Worcestershire
Volume: 6c
Page: 414

1940 Hansard refers to Neville's brother as Austen, so perhaps that is what he was known as?
“He was, like his father, and his brother. Austen, ….etc etc”
http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1940/nov/12/mr-neville-chamberlain

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jan 2015 12:55

If Wiki is correct, ignore the Hampshire link for the time being

Personal life
Chamberlain had a wife and three children. During the 1920s, Chamberlain lived at a house called Twytts Gryll in Fir Toll Road, Mayfield, East Sussex. He sold the house in 1929. R.C.G. Foster said "[h]e kept himself quite aloof from the village and was not popular with his neighbours". He had an interest in rock gardening.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austen_Chamberlain

It does depend when in 1929 they sold the house.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jan 2015 13:01

http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/libraries/find/mayfield/default.htm

Link to Mayfield Library - ask them to check the 1929 ER. They may make a charge, but it shouldn't be too much.

Barbara Ann in Somerset

Barbara Ann in Somerset Report 15 Jan 2015 13:07

Sir Joseph Austen Chamberlain (1863- 1937 is the one Edith Maud Cummins was Housekeeper to he was the half brother of Neville , he is the one i am interested in ....

I wonder did he live at Twytts Gryll with his wife ... and where did he move to after he sold the house ???

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jan 2015 13:16

Lol - You need to get the Electoral Rolls checked for Mayfield in 1929. That will tell you who was registered to vote. If Edith was 21 or over AND live in, she ought to be at the same address. There is always that chance that she didn't start her employment until after they moved

There might be a local newspaper report saying where he was moving to - ask the library.

Barbara Ann in Somerset

Barbara Ann in Somerset Report 15 Jan 2015 14:36

Thankyou for your help... Edith was born in 1903 i beleive she did live in and had been with them a period of time .. i will keep you updated as to what i find ...i know she was at a house in Ringwood Hampshire in the march/april of 1930..

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jan 2015 15:00

Sale of the house - free preview

Kent & Sussex Courier Kent, England
12 Jul 1929

At a low reserve to ensure a Sale. EAST SUSSEX. In the heart unspoilt country, secluded and commanding fine views
about miles. Heathfield, 4 miles. Tunbridge Wells. miles. MESSRS. E. WATSON A SONS have received instructions from Lady Austen Chamberlain to SELL PUBLIC AUCTION (unless previously sold privately) at THE SWAN HOTEL, TUNBRIDGE WELLS, on

View article Type: Article

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Jan 2015 15:10

They seem to have a home in Morporth Mansion, Chelsea but that may have been only their London residence.

It's a pity that so many of the free previews only talk about the family arriving at somewhere on the Continent, not their 'country' home!