Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unmarried on GR? (Answered)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Jan 2015 17:39

I'm sure there must be at least one query about this somewhere on the boards, but can't find it.

I expect the answer's "No" -
but is there any way to enter an unmarried partner on a GR tree?
I've entered him via the "Add spouse" method - but he isn't a spouse.
That also means the relationship shows up as a "Marriage" on the slide-out panel.

I've added a note to say the couple weren't married, but it's a clumsy way of doing it.

I've also tried just adding him as the father of the couple's child, rather than a spouse of the mother - but it still shows as a "Marriage" on the parents' slide-out panels.

Has anyone found a way round this problem?

I'm also asking customer support, but thought I might get a quicker and/or better answer from the people who actually use the GR system.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Jan 2015 19:06

Can't see any other way than what you've already done.

I removed the 'marriage' for one of my couples. The spouse must now be lurking somewhere as he is no longer attached to his 'wife'!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Jan 2015 23:05

Thanks, DetEcTive -

That's what I feared!

If customer support come up with anything, I'll post it here - but I don't suppose they will.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Jan 2015 14:01

Whether they are married or not, they are each others spouse.

Have a few in mine, not really that bothered.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 26 Jan 2015 14:46

Family trees don't have sections for co-habiting 'partners'.

If they have children together, they are a 'couple' so what's the difference?

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Jan 2015 16:15

My point exactly.

was married for 10 years or so, so important I cannot remeber

However, I have been living with my partner for just over 21 years, no need to be married, more settled than I ever was with ex!

Spouse is just a word

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 27 Jan 2015 06:26

For what iut's worth, some commercial tree software such as FTM will allow you to specifiy other types of relationshp.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Jan 2015 12:55

So does Roots Magic, which I use.
A man can be husband, partner, or father; a woman can be wife, partner, or mother.

That's why I asked about GR, which I've also used for many years - and have many unmarried parents on my tree, whose "relationships", even if they may only have lasted a few hours, as passing mistakes, are all called marriages in GR.

Also for what it's worth, various dictionaries define a spouse as a married person; a husband or wife.
Wikipedia widens it to mean "a partner in a marriage, civil union, domestic partnership or common-law marriage".
To me that implies a reasonably long-tem relationship.

Yes, I misused the word in my OP - sorry. He was a partner for a few years, and therefore a spouse, but not married - I meant "he's not a husband".
And therefore, I would prefer the relationship not to be listed as a marriage on GR.
We are all trying to track down accurate records for our ancestors; I'd like to be accurate about that as well.

But I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, and am not implying anything either for or against either marriage or unmarried relationships! I've had both, myself.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Jan 2015 17:01

Unless you are opening your tree to others, I'm not sure why it's a problem

BUT

Where on the tree layout does it identify 'husband' and/or 'wife'?

The names of couples are linked by lines, but there is nothing to say why they are linked

Or am I missing something?

Marriage info on the 'slide out' is only there if you include it, so if it's omitted, it's obvious that no marriage took place

I don't think it necessary for GR to re-jig their layout.

Graham

Graham Report 28 Jan 2015 12:06

On the 'slide out' I put "not married" ;-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Jan 2015 16:05

Thanks to all for your opinions.

I only wondered if it was possible.
The answer's "no"..
That's OK - I'll carry on putting "Not married" in the Marriage section, as I've done for years

If there was a way to "Mark as answered" as there is on the "Find Ancestors" board, I would mark this as answered!.

Kense

Kense Report 28 Jan 2015 16:10

You can edit the thread title to say it has been answered.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 29 Jan 2015 14:10

Thanks, KenSE!